Popping noise when turning left, help!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hey guys. Recently I have noticed when i make a left turn (doesnt have to be full left, even if im just doing a switching lane kind of thing) i would hear a loud pop/clunk noise under the passenger footwell area, even the passenger themself can feel the pop on the floorboard, it came to the point where i started to feel it on my area as well when i make turns. I have pinpointed parts with play on the passenger wheel area, i replaced the steering knuckle bearing, as well as the lower ball joint. the play was either significantly reduced if not eliminated. Now when i make left turns, the noise is still there but has slightly reduced in intensity. Everything I know so far is torqued to spec, i know i tightened down the steering rack and the bushings were still good on it, i just don't know what else to think of, the noise has been there before i changed out the struts, so i know thats not the reason as well [different springs, shocks, and the top hats werent reused]. Anything helps guys, let me know, thanks!

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Well there are other ball joints in that area. Have you check the tie rod ends and upper control arm. Also check the lower control arm bushings.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Also check for dangly bits that could hit the tire... I've seen folks with things like the antilock brake sensor plug dangling to where the tire could give it a good solid whack when turning. Sounds awful.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
hvyman;1769761 said:
Or anything in the steering system.

Ofcourse it could be, I am saying what it likely is.

1) Tie Rods won't make a popping noise.
2) Ball joints and wheel bearings don't pop.
3) Could be strut mounts but those are easily spotted if they are busted.

Like Hvyman said, it could be anything, but I just eliminated number 1 and 2 because I have never heard them make any noise that you described.

Control arm bushings do this kind of thing when they go bad.

OP, go under the car, take a pry bar and start moving parts around. Try the lower arm bushings first.