Polyurethane Engine Mounts - Opinions

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'm looking into a new set of engine mounts and was considering the polyurethane ones currently available. I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have used them, both good and bad. My main concern is how they transmit engine vibration to the car. All replies are appreciated.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
I've seen them used on a few supras at the shop over here and i dont really like it...

It does keep the vibration down, but the motor moves too much for my liking...

Solids Vibrate wayyy to much, I use hockey pucks.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I was under the impression that they would prevent movement more so than the OEM mounts...this is not the case?

I'm now considering an OEM motor, poly transmission mount combo...

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Poodles;1563422 said:
How so? Both are inline six engines with the same firing order...

From my experiences the JZ series of motors are much smoother then the M series of motors. Then if you want to go even to a newer I-6 the newer BMW motors are even smoother running then M or JZ series.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Maybe the early 7M's with the early crank, but still, it's a straight six which are some of THE smoothest engines known as they are harmonicly neutral. I don't recommend solids ever, since they have a nasty habit of loosening fasteners and overall just being bad for the vehicle in general.

Back to the question at hand, it depends on the style of motor mounts (pre-89 or 89+) and who makes them. Poly is stiffer than rubber, so I dunno what to say about previous posts about the engine moving too much...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
adampecush;1563267 said:
I was under the impression that they would prevent movement more so than the OEM mounts...this is not the case?

I'm now considering an OEM motor, poly transmission mount combo...

I highly recommend using OEM motor mounts, and a BIC poly damper/rod to limit engine movement. I run this combo on my car, and I enjoy the smoothness of stock mounts with very little movement at 450hp (my trans mount is also OEM). The BIC dampers are available for both 87-88 and 89+ now. Below is a pic of the one on my car. Also, here's a dyno vid of my car making 515hp 503tq with very little engine movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnR-JyH7f-0

torque%20strut%20installed%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited: