polishing compressor housing

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i did my first polishing job on my upperintake mani the other day[not 100% done] and i freaking love it!! my question it, if i want to polish my compressor housing will it effect balance to do it??

ideally i'd want the housing off the turbo, but it has recently been rebuilt and balanced....i can live with some silver paint if it is saver than polishing

john

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
jester1341 said:
i did my first polishing job on my upperintake mani the other day[not 100% done] and i freaking love it!! my question it, if i want to polish my compressor housing will it effect balance to do it??

ideally i'd want the housing off the turbo, but it has recently been rebuilt and balanced....i can live with some silver paint if it is saver than polishing

john

no, balancing refers to the wheels inside the turbo.. you can do whatever to the housing.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i think what he is saying is it reflects it in and out?? in other words the heat from the exhaust housing is being stored in the compressor housing because of the polish??

john

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=heat+transfer+polished+surface&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.sshcinc.com/Characteristics of Radiant Heat.html

All bodies with a temperature above that of absolute zero emit rays, and the wavelength depends on the temperature of the body surface. Every facet of the surface emits rays in straight lines at right angles to the facet. The surface of concrete or rough plaster, when examined under a microscope, is covered with numerous facets, all giving off radiant energy. On the other hand, the examination of polished steel or similar polished surfaces shows no such facets. Therefore, a rough surface is more efficient for emitting heat rays than a polished surface.

Show cars and race cars are two different things. That is all I was saying. Bling does look good, no doubt.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If you're wanting to pollish the housing - take it off the turbo. You don't want debris down the intake.

Just be carefull not to pinch your fingers with the snap ring (ct26) and when taking the housing off be carefull not to bend the compressor wheel blades.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i thought about that and i was going to tape it off, cuz i was afraid to dismantle it...but i am still not sure if i am gonna polish it or not...

john

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
jester1341 said:
i thought about that and i was going to tape it off, cuz i was afraid to dismantle it...but i am still not sure if i am gonna polish it or not...

john

Do what Jon said, take it apart. If you don't, you WILL have to rebuild or replace your turbo shortly after it used again. Polishing creates a fine dust made of aluminum that will get into your center cartridge and it will destroy your bearings.