plx r-500 setup with laptop

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
anyone out there using a plx r-500 with a laptop. i just purchased a dell laptop with enought power and ram. just for some reason when i try to hook it up to my laptop i cant get it to work. i have a proper usb cable and i have power running to the unit. i think its something to do with the drivers or com port which im not good at.. so if youre a plx r-500 user and computer ggek of sorts chime in and help me out. thanks..:icon_bigg

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
About the only advice I can give for any new dell or any other brand name computer is throw away your restore disk. Buy yourself a Microsoft Windows XP SP2 CD for $82.00, Fdisk the hard drive and remove the hidden partitions if there are any, reformat it as one large hard drive using NTFS, then install a fresh copy of JUST windows. You'll need another computer so once you have XP installed go to Dell and download all the drivers for your computer and burn them onto a CD. That usually clears up tons of brand name computer issues. Now your computer is an awesome running windows computer and not a bogged down dell with tons of dell crap and software that expires after 60 days. Make sure you don’t install an anti virus they are useless, but go to download.com and get Adaware, and Spybot for free. Go to Microsoft and download ALL the latest Security Updates. Then do a Google search for Black Viper and adjust you services to the Black Viper standards. You won’t regret it, and you won’t be having any computer issues in the future.
Rick

Link for the 82 windows cd http://mypcparts.com/software.html