*please help MKIII gods!* tried searching.. code 51 with no start. random....

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
All,

I tried searching, I know there are some serious 7M guys here.

did a HG with ARP's about 50 miles before this happen.

Code 51 (toyota manual says AC switch, TPS, and Netural safety switch)
Spray starter fluid into intake with no start (no spark)

I pulled TPS and put a meter on it. Its within range IAW tech manual. (should i still replace?)

The other idea I was going to close the NSS circuit?

am I on the right path?

thanks all

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I havent worked with OBD1 in forever!
i hate it! haha

I guess I should unplug AFM and try starting. I remember that was a trick with the 7m

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I hate posting questions that are stupid but sometimes i hit a wall. This is one of those times.

basics of trouble shooting
needs..
fuel
air
spark
by spraying starter fluid into the intake and nothing happening tells me I am not getting spark.

I was driving and my ICP coupler came undone (this has happen before). I lift the hood and see it undone and it didnt start back up.

I am going to replace/adjust tps to adress the code 51.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Is the a/c on when you're checking codes? That will throw a code 51.
If the tach is not jumping a little bit while you crank the car then the ecu isnt seeing the ignition signal from the CPS and won't fire. Check your CPS wiring.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
^What he said- Biggest no-start culprit is the crispy, 25+yr old wiring on top of the cps.
Wiggle the wires, and try again.

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
kotu100;1836911 said:
Is the a/c on when you're checking codes? That will throw a code 51.
If the tach is not jumping a little bit while you crank the car then the ecu isnt seeing the ignition signal from the CPS and won't fire. Check your CPS wiring.

that is a good point. thanks a lot :love:

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Mine did the same thing. Jumper the TPS plug too to make sure the wiring isn't shot. Mine was out of adjustment ever so slightly, It would run, but cut out at 1500-2000 rpm everytime I drove it. Hard to pin point, took me 2 hours.

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
supraguy@aol;1836932 said:
^What he said- Biggest no-start culprit is the crispy, 25+yr old wiring on top of the cps.
Wiggle the wires, and try again.

I am still not getting a start!

WTF

I pulled my plugs and put new spark plugs in because mine looked horrible

I am getting deflection with the RPM. I checked and wiggled the wiring for the CPS. I am getting spark.

I pulled my CSI and its got lots of fuel pressure. didnt put a gauge on it. But its nuff to get the motor at least to putter

I need to check one of my coils i guess because i checked number 1 spark plug wire and its getting spark. I am getting 12 volts to my coil packs and getting fuel to the CSI. I am getting RPM bounce on the gauge while cranking. WTF am i doing wrong

plug wires look good.

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
I checked timing and it was off. the car is running now.

Its running bad. its hopping, I hope i didnt bend a valve...

SupraBo

Dec 30, 2006
Va Beach
Turbo Habanero;1838319 said:
No.bent valves really.... My 7m had 2 bent valves last time I had a head job done good thing stock valves are cheap.

Thanks for telling me.

My car jumped timing and it only was off by a couple teeth

A compression test to follow

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The 7m is a non interference motor so you could run it 180* out of time and nothing would happen, ive done it.

Was just about to suggest to check your timing but then i saw u did and it fixed. hows the car running now? Did you check the ignition timing?
with the crank @ 0* piston 1 @ TDC, the 2 marks on your cam gears should match up with the marks on the rear gear cover.

Jumper Te1 and E1 in the diag box and start the car. Using a timing gun check the timing and it should be 10*.

Last edited: