Please help me find video software!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok, I got the driver so my computer now recognizes my Sony video camera... But I dont have anything to play it with... What am I doing wrong? I just found the cable to connect it to my computer, so now I wanna start making/editing all the videos I have...

Can someone give me a good program I can down load to do this?

Thanks,
Jake

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Reign_Maker said:
Ok, I got the driver so my computer now recognizes my Sony video camera... But I dont have anything to play it with... What am I doing wrong? I just found the cable to connect it to my computer, so now I wanna start making/editing all the videos I have...

Can someone give me a good program I can down load to do this?

Thanks,
Jake

Win XP has movie maker built it, it's not too bad.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok, I found that... Now why does it only have my Logitech web cam and not showing my sony camera as a source? Is there a way for me to add it?

God I hate being a 'tard when it comes to computers...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
is the power on ?

try unpluggin it and plugging it back in when the program is running..

you may need drivers for your camera to comunicate with you computer..

are you using fire wire or usb?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
usb I think... has a little plug at one end that goes into the camera.. When I installed the drivers, then restarted my comp, and plugged the cam in, it said, new hardware found, then recognized it... I'll try it again and turn the camera on this time, lol... We'll see... I just have ass loads of film, from Supra meets and my dyno pulls and cruising and even the zoo! I know you guys wanna see my zoo footage! lol...

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Just move the files from your camera to your PC.

Movie makers OK for editing, you cant add many effects though.

Adobe after effects is really confusing and takes awhile to learn.

I suggest Apple Final Cut Pro. Its the best Ive used so far.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
So, ok... I can get video, and pull it onto my comp, but, I cant get sound! WTF? I have it set to the sony cam, sony audio... Joel, you think my webcam is f'n up my sound?

And this windows media thing is cool... Just playin with it, I cant wait to get some serious vids goin... Do I have to have a web site to up load these?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Do you have an avi player? The new winamp supports most video files now, and that is freeware. But you should see the camera as a removable drive in the "my computer" screen with your hard drive, just drag the file to the desktop and download a compatible player for the file type your Sony is recording.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Aaron, if I understand you, I dont have that icon there... It's just my web cam... I have the camera on and plugged in... It just doesnt make sense why it would have video, but no sound... The tape has sound... And how can I put music on the video? can that be done with Windows movie maker?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Are you recording on Digistick or Tape? For some reason, Sonys dont transfer sound from tape through USB, youll need a firewire card and cable from my experience with my cousins camera. Or just go get a Sony digistick.

You could try getting more codecs, such as the Matroska pack, AVsynth pack and FFD Show 3 comb filters.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
rakkasan said:
LOL, and you fuggers are admins too? HAHAHAHAHA! Newbs!
Im just a mod... And I never have even tried doing video to the comp before... But I have alot of great footage... I just gotta figure this out...

Yellow: It's a Hi8/Digital camera... Im using Hi8/digital tape... WTF is a fire wire fire card? What does it look like?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Windows movie maker is ok for editing movies and a great place to get your feet wet. Once you understand timeline editing to a degree you can move up to a product like Adobe Premiere Elements, or the full blown Premiere. If you have a Mac you can use iMovie or Final cut.

Most digital video cameras use a firewire interface for capturing video to your hard drive. If your camera is new and uses a USB2.0 connection, you will have to be a little more careful what software you use as not all of them support USB transfer. Some cameras have both types of connections (typically video cameras that also use a removable storage media for stills)and generally use the USB for transfering still pictures and the firewire for video.

Worst case Reign is you will need to capture video through a composite connection via some form of "capture card". There are quite a few on the market that are even stand alone and plug in via USB.

I have a degree in digital arts and Im most familiar with the Adobe products and movie maker if you need any help with your movies.

Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
usually with our panasonic we just choose usb video and usb audio and it comes thru fine... the only problem is that the camera dictates the resolution so it'll come thru small.. i think 320px

we have a capture card installed so we put the camera thru the vcr then capture from the vcr = dvd quality (or near) video
i use windvd creator for dvds mostly