Please God help...(Pilot Bearing Will NOT Come out)

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I am trying to remove my pilot bearing. The grease trick didn't work, a bearing puller didn't work, a slide hammer didn't work. I drilled it, got the inner race and bearings out, that leaves just the outer race. A slide hammer and puller won't grip it, a sawsall won't cut it, a hack saw won't cut it, a drill won't drill it. What the hell am I supposed to do?

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
I pulled this from my thread. hope it helps, you may need a few more nails with the middle missing.
This is how you make a SST #09303-35011 if you don't have one.
You need a long bolt that just fits in the bearing center hole.
pilot1.jpg

Once that is in, squeeze in as many small nails as you can. Then, use a small hose clamp to secure them all together.
pilot2.jpg

The chain is the slide hammer part. I actually put a long metal rod in there, and the bearing popped out on the first try.
pilot3.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
God reads SM? Damn...

Since bearing races are hardened those types of cutting tools won't touch them. Grinding will. By 'grease trick' I assume you mean filling the cavity? That'll always work if done right. It has to. How did you do it?

BSG: Crude, but effective ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
He's already removed the Inner and balls so the only thing I can think of is a dremel and a slitting disc.

Carefully cut through the outer race as deep as possible in 2 places then insert a small scredriver into the cut slot and hit with a hammer.
(while wearing eye protection of course)

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
I second the Dremel idea, they have little hard discs that are smaller in diameter than that outside race, just cut all the way thru (or 90% thru) one side and it will collapse, and come right out no problem.

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
arz;1112454 said:
I second the Dremel idea, they have little hard discs that are smaller in diameter than that outside race, just cut all the way thru (or 90% thru) one side and it will collapse, and come right out no problem.

I'm gonna try that tonight. Thanks

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
how did the bearing puller not work? ive gotten some crazy bearings and crazy stuck bearings easily out with one..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My bro has had to remove one that was rusted in (wasn't a supra, but same thing) he nipped at it with a die grinder until it was thin enough to bend in on itself and remove.

On a side note, I didn't replace mine as I couldn't source the correct puller, and it still moved the way it should. It's not like the bearing is supposed to be under real stress...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Poodles;1112853 said:
My bro has had to remove one that was rusted in (wasn't a supra, but same thing) he nipped at it with a die grinder until it was thin enough to bend in on itself and remove.

On a side note, I didn't replace mine as I couldn't source the correct puller, and it still moved the way it should. It's not like the bearing is supposed to be under real stress...

the one i removed yesterday wouldn't move at all, even when the bearing puller tool was in it wouldn't turn :biglaugh:

the correct pullers are hard to find at parts stores... but they are usually the 140$ ones that work right :p