Plasti-Dip my Supra?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Title says it all. I have an 89 currently white. Front clip is good but from the doors back the clearcoat is orange peeled and quite frankly not that great. The car has tinted blinkers, side markers and tail lights all black (tail lights are more maroon. Didn't want to go too dark without brighter bulbs.) All 5 windows are tinted at 35% and the gas tank and muffler I painted black. The car is a white package but I repainted the saw tooths metallic black. Window trim and bottom of mirrors is already plasti-dipped.

Basically I'm just wondering how you think a murdered out mkiii with gloss black sawtooths would look vs my current white body. Pics are welcome.

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
I plan to do it to mine to make it one color. It's a cheap alternative to painting a car, but isn't permanent. Should expect to be fixing chips pretty often. search Youtube for "Dip You Car.com" videos

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I figured this topic would come along at some point after seeing more and more people doing this. If you have any dents or ripples in your sheet metal it will show like a sore thumb. It may be easy to lay down, but with no prep work just like paint it wont be clean. PLUS, consider all the body lines that would be open while you spray the plasti-dip, what will it gunk up behind thoes?

If I had peeling clear coat I would wet sand it all down, hit it with a few coats of clear (even if its rattle can), wet sand again, and then a final polish. BAM! Good as new. You could even do it in sections so you dont have your car down for more than half a day at a time.

And since you asked for my opinion, I think a "murdered out" flat black Supra would look like crap... on stock wheels... painted black... I will never understand the alure of painting wheels black... If I was using the car for off road track use then hell yea, I would plasti dip it, but I would go with white. A street car however... Plasti-dip is for beaters...

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
I agree with the murdered out look.

But Plasti-Dip is for Beaters?

p1884262_1.jpg

p1884262_2.jpg

p1884262_3.jpg

7966481742_34edb918c2_z.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I had once though about plastidipping my car as well. Those thoughts quickly faded when i saw pictures of someone peeling dried up chips of plastidip off their car.
If the car is garaged and not left out in the sun long it might work.

For the money, spend the time prepping and for a couple hundred more you could paint it with real paint.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
I agree, "murdered out" looks sh1t

sm_photo_missing.jpg

;)

Plasti-dip looks like a bit of fun to experiment with though, but yeah, as already said, a proper job requires proper paint.

SupraRzTT

Jun 14, 2009
BC
I acctually think murdered out looks friggen fantastic
IMG_2120.jpg

As for plasti dip, if your really going to do it, i would suggest masking everything up like you normally would. Sure most of the bigger sections will peel off, but small overspray areas would be left stuck in cracks, door jambs, etc etc.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
plasti dip wont last for long at all, just spend the time and money and do it right like me, this winter ill be meticulously prepping my car for paint. and you know what, im not even keeping this body haha

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Thanks for the input. It was just an idea. Basically, I need a paint job but the car isn't worth it honestly. Too much body work needed, too many miles, too many minor issues and problems. It was just an idea to see if I could make my semi-beater supra look slick. Looks like ill have to wet sand if I really feel the need to change it. However, that black supra looks fricken sick. One of the nicest looking mkiiis I've seen imo

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Chambers;1884235 said:
I figured this topic would come along at some point after seeing more and more people doing this. If you have any dents or ripples in your sheet metal it will show like a sore thumb. It may be easy to lay down, but with no prep work just like paint it wont be clean. PLUS, consider all the body lines that would be open while you spray the plasti-dip, what will it gunk up behind thoes?

If I had peeling clear coat I would wet sand it all down, hit it with a few coats of clear (even if its rattle can), wet sand again, and then a final polish. BAM! Good as new. You could even do it in sections so you dont have your car down for more than half a day at a time.

And since you asked for my opinion, I think a "murdered out" flat black Supra would look like crap... on stock wheels... painted black... I will never understand the alure of painting wheels black... If I was using the car for off road track use then hell yea, I would plasti dip it, but I would go with white. A street car however... Plasti-dip is for beaters...

As for the rims, it's just a style I guess. Mine are metallic black with clearcoat. Not flat black. The stock white paint was chipped and deterriorating so I wanted to repaint them. I mainly did black because they hide brake dust very well. My white rims always looked crappy because I park in a gravel driveway and brake dust was always filling up the tooth part. These can be filthy and it's not very noticeable. Yes, I realize just buying rims is better, but hey, $20 vs $200? Ill paint them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hey...it runs;1884356 said:
As for the rims, it's just a style I guess. Mine are metallic black with clearcoat. Not flat black. The stock white paint was chipped and deterriorating so I wanted to repaint them. I mainly did black because they hide brake dust very well. My white rims always looked crappy because I park in a gravel driveway and brake dust was always filling up the tooth part. These can be filthy and it's not very noticeable. Yes, I realize just buying rims is better, but hey, $20 vs $200? Ill paint them.

means you havd a white package and ruined it :p

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Poodles;1884395 said:
means you havd a white package and ruined it :p
Lol I thought about that. But I didn't because I still have the white trimline. :)...until I paint the smaller bump line black. Then it will sort of have a white package.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
hey...it runs;1884449 said:
Lol I thought about that. But I didn't because I still have the white trimline. :)...until I paint the smaller bump line black. Then it will sort of have a white package.

White packages the molding that wraps around the car is all white. Hence white package.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
hvyman;1885981 said:
White packages the molding that wraps around the car is all white. Hence white package.
I know. White trim, white rims and a white "Toyota Supra" on the rear right corner. I didn't paint all the trim black, the trim is about 2.5" wide and I only blacked the little raised part about an inch wide. actually looks pretty good with the black rims, windows and blinkers.