Plans..... read and comment please.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
In light of my fuel pump problems I have been having, I have decided to go fuel cell and external pump. Below is how I plan on doing this in my supra.

1st, I plan on cutting out the spare tire well, and a good portion of the trunk floor. I will also be removing the fuel tank and filter.

2nd, I will build an aluminum box/tray that replaces the trunk panel. This tray will extend down to the bottom of where the stock fuel tank would sit. This tray will be bolted in to what will be left of the original trunk floor. This tray will also have a hinged bolt down lid.

3rd, I will be building my own custom aluminum fuel cell with baffles and aircraft style anti slosh foam. There will be a sump on bottom that will stick out of a small hole in the bottom of the tray. This fuel cell will be around 15 gallons and use a modded stock sending unit. It will be filled through the hatch. I plan on mounting my A1000 and fuel filter onto this box between the front wall of it and the differential.

4th, the tray will have dividers welded in it, and will also contain my optima battery and 10 pound nitrous bottle.

As said before, this tray/ box will have a (sealed)cover over the top, I will loose 0 trunk space, and the stock carpet will still sit over this.

Anyone see any problems with this? Anyone have any better ideas?

Cliff notes: Cutting up trunk with sawzall and replacing stuff with lighter aluminum and fuel cell.

Last edited:

Bryan92t

If going that far, how about rerouting the gas filler hose to the fuel cell.
And i'd imagine having the A1000 fuel pump located in the car would be pretty noisey.

Good luck with the project, being close to you, i may have to check this thing out.:)

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Have you ever seen IJ's fuel cell? You may want to check out his to get some ideas on how he did his. He is the only person that I can recal at the moment who has a fuel cell in the supra.

Ninja edit:: As stated by IJ, his tank is 90 litres and it's for propane. So disregard my previous statement.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
The A1000 won't actually be in the car. It will be mounted on the outside of the front tray between it and the rear subframe.

I may see if it is possible to put the filler neck back into stock location.

The entire purpose of this is to make space for fuel cell/battery/ nitrous bottle without losing any of the cars cargo room and to still have it look stock in the hatch.

come on up bryan92t...... haha, I can use all the help I can get.

are ya good at tig welding? lol

Last edited:

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
I looked at a similar arrangement, though I was going to have the cell full width between the "rails". It would have tucked up higher than the lowest point of the bumper. I abandoned it if favour of a modified stock tank.

For ease of filling, consider having the neck come out from under the license plate. Pick up a flip down plate holder from any big 1980's GM product, and box the area in with some steel inside the hatch. Everything should fit quite easily, and be very close to stock. A small trim will be required to the false floor and carpet to fit around it, but not too much. Make life a little easier, provides the required "firewall" if you go to the track, and eliminates any chance of spillage inside the car.

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
Just go out and buy one of these :)

picture010ta3.jpg

I too will also be cutting out the spare tire well and building a box that will hold my fuel cell. Post some pics when you start the project.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Same thing i am gonna have to do to the white car. Except i plan to use a JAZ fuel cell (16 gallon) just like the one that was posted above. I will build a support tray for the cell and bolt it to the floor after i cut the floor out. I will also have my battery back there and a nitrous bottle for the IC spraybar. Since the white 86 is gonna be the drag car. Now i just need someone to make me a tray :)

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I think you should buy a fuel cell rather than build one, They are already
certfied for when you do drag racing, or whatever. I think unless you already
build fuel cells for a living, it'd be better in the long run to just buy one to begin
with. Other than that, the idea sounds great.

Jeff

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I think that is a better idea. I'm just gonna buy the fuel cell, and install into my box.

Will I lose any of the chassis structure by cutting the trunk floor? Is is going to cause it to be any more "loose" ?

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Well, I finished my box. It's 3/4 inch bigger than the fuel cell all the way around and corner reinforced. The lip that bolts into the trunk is 1/8 angle aluminum double welded onto the box. I don't think it's going anywhere. It will have 20 stainless rivets holding it to the reinforced trunk floor in a few days. I built a perch onto the box for the A1000 to mount to.