Plans for my bike

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I got this bike for nothing and it runs good so I think it's worth the time and practice doing body work before I start on my car. Anyway I had it parked on a college campus and it got trashed so I thought I should start over.

I'm going to lower it 2" in the front and an inch in the rear with a 5" extended swing arm and a wider rear tire. And it's not going to be that color, I just used it to show the detail. It will be black and silver with possibly some CF.

OLD
bikeolder3.jpg

NEW
bikeredesignloweredandlkj5.jpg

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
well if I were trying to justify it I would probably claim to be too short... but really I just like the look. Although I think if I were ever to race it at the track it would help keep the front end down.

Even extending the swing arm it will have a shorter wheel base than many of the new bikes that handle well, so I really don't think it will hurt this bike too much.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
nice, you forgot to put the windscreen in the first ps image, you should ps some inverted forks on that baby. and nice job with making the width of the rear tire bigger.

It'd look cooler if you would cover up the frame a little bit more with the side fairing.

But all in all, great job. ;)

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I didn't forget the windscreen, I was LAZY haha :p

Inverted forks huh? now there's an idea that's going to end up costing me time and money lol. Same with the wider rear tire :( Found out no one makes a bolt on swing arm for a wider rear wheel, or a wider wheel for that matter. So I'm going to have to make my own swing arm and see what I can steal for a rear wheel off another bike (possibly R6 or new FZ).

As for the frame I was actually thinking about making MORE show haha. I think it will be a nice contrast once the bike is black.

Thanks for the input man, going to look into the forks in the morning :D

1jzdreamer

Dec 3, 2006
Arkansas
Inverted shocks on that thing will be a pain, and major fab work.
You would need new tripple trees, which probably wouldnt be readly available for that bike that accept the inverted ones. Would make it awsome thoguh.
g/l

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Get some dogbones to lower the rear and don't worry about the extended swingarm. Looks gay. Then, get some lowering straps for the front forks or you can loosen the upper and lower triple tree bolts and lower it that way. I used the straps and dogbones on my 00' zx6r. It made it hard to bring the front up (didn't want to do wheelies) which was good. But, made the front ride like hell with the straps. But, it wasn't all that bad. Good Luck.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I agree that those extended swing arms that are REALLY long look kind of gay. But where I'm making my own tail I can keep everything in proportion while getting the added benefits. Also, it's going to be all custom in order to fit a wider tire so I figured I might as well lengthen it. Thanks for the tips on lowering the front I'll check those options out!

Anyway, I have a photoshop update that I'm trying to upload but it isn't working. I've also got the tail of the bike nearly finished and ready to glass. I'm working on the front next and the side fairings last because the engine is out of the bike at the moment and I need to know clearances etc.... I'll update with pics ASAP!

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
HT5SSilverSupraT said:
lol didn't realize there was such a hatred out there for them.

They are great strictly for drag racing. But, to just have an extended swingarm for just riding around is pointless as well as unsafe.

If you do what I suggested, it will lower the center of gravity and make it look a little better if that's what you're going for. But, will also be not as safe in the turns. Another thing that I would point out is that if you lower it, you are going to have to shorten your kick stand as it will make the bike almost stand straight up after lowered.

EDIT: I am by no mean shooting down your idea. Just want you to be informed since I am an experienced rider.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Alright alright. Stock swing arm length. BUT I still have to modify it for a wider tire. Any objections to a wider tire?

This is a project bike so everything I do to it is just practice before I do stuff to the Supra (i.e. body work). And just for something to do and be cheap.

And it might only have 50hp (maybe less I don't even know what it has hah) but it's more than enough to get me in trouble so it'll do for now :)

1jzdreamer

Dec 3, 2006
Arkansas
I have my bike lowered with the tripple tree trick, it didnt screw with handling at all. Then again my bike is a dirt bike... I have lots of experience with the dirt, next to none with street.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Yeah it's a Yamaha FZR600. I checked the HP, it's 71 which I was surprised and a bit happy about. And yeah... they don't make shit for this bike, which sucks and it doesn't. Good because I would rather do something completely custom than put down $ for an off the shelf part. But it's bad because like most other Supra owners, I don't need any more projects.

The tail is nearly ready for fiber glassing now and I'm sculpting the nose. I'm not really looking forward to the fairings :|

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
I had a 1990 fzr600, they're great bikes. You should just go the street fighter route and take off the farings and just put a aftermarket head light, aswell as some frame sliders, maybe even a chin faring if you want it. That's the way to go imo, but then again I have different taste than you.