places to mount boost gauge?

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
You are very right about the attention thing. Police in Toronto have probably one of the biggest ongoing anti-street racing projects in the world. Sergeants have been documented as saying that they search for Neon, Bright Paint and the pillar pod. Hence I foresee much hassling in the future. Thank god my car's a sleeper.

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
Years ago I mounted two 52mm's in the ashtray location. I trimmed the circumference to make it slightly bigger, made a leather, black template for the ashtray hole that would fit the two gauges and that's about it. I would post pictures, but my car is getting some work to it right now, so I can't snap any just yet... maybe next week if anyone is interested.

I am redoing my gauges pretty soon however... I'm going with Apexi EL gauges in a duel pillar pod and will put two new gauges in the ash tray location. The attention the pillar pod will attract is a slight concern, more so parking down town... I had my Xterra get broken into because I had change in one of the cup holders - F'in crack heads. I'll just have to park in a garage from now on, but I'm not going to let a couple of crack heads stop me from building my car the way I want to.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
suprra_girl said:
most owners on here are american lol so unless urs was a na to gte swap... that'd be why you don't have a boost gauge :p

you'll have one there somewhere i would say :)

for break in's etc that's why i mounted mine where i did, and i think the yellow scares them away anyhow hehe

i completely forgot the motor was swapped...yea that explains it

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
Ron's (jt2ma71):
463369_56_full.jpg

My copy-cat:
bgauge-4.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
four holes,
two zipties,
one double stacked piece of double sided adhesive backed foam tape
i love it.
and there were no measurements at all. i did this off the car, in my kitchen. lol.

:: picture will be added later due to me not having one... thought i did... ::

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
Ron's boost gauge is by far my favorite for the mkiii. If you want it mounted on the steering column, just set it in place and wrap some duct tape around it! haha j/k

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I been wanting to do that for a while now, I saw these pictures before. I just wanna know what kind of guage is used so that it fit in the stock location. I think if you think about it and work it out, you should be able to make it fit inside. But yeah, anyone know what guage those are and if possible is available on the market for purchase?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i have the FULL aftermarket gauges in the stock locations for boost and oil...coming soon... (im waiting on a fuel sender) ill have water temp in ther stock location as well as EGT where the stock fuel gauge is...

ill get better pics tomorrow most likely... since this is pretty old... you can kind see it ;)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Here is a photo of mine on the steering column.
I like it, but then I don't. I might fit them in better places later on, and the boost in the stock position.

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 240

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
what size aftermarket guage did you used that fit in the stock location? I am guessing that the two guage under the CD player is 52 mm size.

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
Ron and I both used the Apexi 60mm mechanical boost gauge for our installations. You basically use only the guts of the Apexi gauge, combined with a custom gauge face and a shortened stock needle. A hole will need to be drilled in the back of the gauge cluster to accommodate the pressure nipple. I only have one pic of the installation, but if you have any specific questions I would be happy to help.

bgauge-3.jpg

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
When you say custome guage face, did you use the original but cut away the bottom and redo the -30 vacum or you just buy a different guage face? Can a different boost guage be used and get the same result? I can't find the Apexi one for a good price, the new one go for $140, almost 3/4 of the cost of a new set of spring that I am also consider buying to replace my 16 yrs old set.

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
The custom gauge face was made by a silkscreening company. A template was made lining up the tick marks on the Apexi gauge face and different fonts were tried until one close to the Toyota font was found. You could probably use the Apexi face in the stock location--it doesn't look terribly different than the Toyota faces.

I'm not sure what other guages would fit--this is the only one I tried.

logan

3 laws safe
Oct 4, 2005
U.S-U.K
I love the stock look of that . If you have any more of them or still have the templets please let me know , I want to get some printed

Last edited:

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I just bought the Autometer sport comp 2 and the face looks really similar to the factory face as it is. It's a 0-35psi black face with white numbers which glow through the face white when it's on. I'm trying to fit it in the factory location but not like the ones above. I'm just gonna leave the whole thing in tact, do a little cutting, and then a little molding to make it look like it actually fit. The only problem I am having right now is that I need to drill holes in the back (1-3) for the mounting screws and the hose but I don't want to damage that green plastic 'whatever it's called'.