Piston Ring Gap Question and Brand Recommendation.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Hey all, Its been a minute since I was on here and its good to see you all still doing well. So here is my Question to all of you as this is going into a current build.

1. Have a 7MGTE that has been honed out one before but has been pushed pretty hard and starting to go through a good amount of Oil. 200 Miles it blows a quart of oil and there is no way he can boost as it will drop oil like crazy. With that said we are thinking that its blowby from the rings so he want to do a rebuild. Now, Like I said this will be the Second time this engine will have the cylinders honed. Im pretty sure that the Ring Gap will be out of Tolerance so I want to know what do you all recommend. Would you go up to a .010 overbore ring and file to fit the correct specs? I know that there are these called gapless rings out there also, would anyone recommend these? He is using stock toyota Pistons just incase you are wondering. If the tolerances is .17 top and .19 second ring what would be the absolute bottom line so these rings seat correctly.

2nd, What brand ring would you all recommend. This will be a Mid 500HP car so he needs a good set of rings to insure that there isnt anymore Issues. NPR i hear is good but are there any others.

Thanks all
Robert

V8killer

Remember it's a turbo engine from the factory so set the gap to factory specs I personally go mid range on the top and the wider range on the second. Factory parts are good till pretty good numbers.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

I used to work on the 3sgte toyotas are all well built hence why we are all here

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
That I understand, My Biggest concern is that this will be the second time that this block has been honed out. Saying that Im sure that there will be a difference in the gap once we hone it out. This is why I asked about that I should do.... ie get oversize rings and file down or gapless rings. Factory toyota rings the last time I checked was roughly $280 a set.