pistol help

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I did not like the feel of a Glock in my hand, and I felt a few variations of them. I believe they were the 17, 26 and 30 something..
The grips on the short/compact ones feel extremely fat in my hand.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I'll be in the market for a new gun, I had the ruger p345 but I was one of very few people who had problems with that gun and I gave up on it. I like the 45 acp a lot, packs a punch and less recoil then the 9mm and 40 S&W. Right now, I'm looking into the Sig p220, HK 45 acp, the M&P 45, some variant of 1911, and maybe another kahr.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
If its going to be on you all day, go with the 380. Lighter and smaller (both gun and ammo) than the 9mm. If it is for personal defense, cost vs the 9mm should not be a factor unless you are killing dozens of people on a weekly basis. If you are, change neighborhoods quickly.

The 380 hydro shock is a very adequate round for personal defense. I just know folks that get the 9 and end up leaving it in the glove box instead if in their wasteband.

Another consideration will be the finish. Stainless is hard to bead for a carry gun. Although the LCP that 03bamaGT recommneds above is polymer coated or something so it should be a good choice. Production on this LCP should be steping up over the next few months.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
bhmsupra;1171599 said:
If its going to be on you all day, go with the 380. Lighter and smaller (both gun and ammo) than the 9mm. If it is for personal defense, cost vs the 9mm should not be a factor unless you are killing dozens of people on a weekly basis. If you are, change neighborhoods quickly.

The 380 hydro shock is a very adequate round for personal defense. I just know folks that get the 9 and end up leaving it in the glove box instead if in their wasteband.

Another consideration will be the finish. Stainless is hard to bead for a carry gun. Although the LCP that 03bamaGT recommneds above is polymer coated or something so it should be a good choice. Production on this LCP should be steping up over the next few months.

My old 45 was easy to carry, it does take some getting use to though.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
03bama is smokin crack. Dont ever carry a 22 for personal defense. The 380 is lighter and smaller than the 9mm (both ammo and gun). I just know too many folks that leave the 9mm at home or in the glovebox instead of inside the waistband where it belongs. Ammo cost should not be a factor unless you are shooting dozens of folks on a weekly basis.

Another consideration is finish. If this is a primary carry gun, stainless would be a good choice. The LCP that 03bamaGT suggests is polymer coated and also works nicely too.

Last word of advise, never comprimise quality for cost when it comes to a personal defense weapon. Wait a few more months, put 10% to 20% with your money and buy the best gun you can afford. The fireearm market is very competitive, you usually get what you pay for. Plus, a well kept gun usually holds it value pretty good.

Shoot straight

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Walther makes an awesome .22 cal concealable handgun, as does Sig Sauer. You can get a .40 cal walther thats the same size as the 22 and packs a hell of a lot more power, a .22 is great if you get mugged by a chick with one leg and an eyepatch and a really crappy knife.

I have a Glock model 22C (full sized police issue .40 S&W) and I can hide it a lot of places, the 23 and i believe 27 is the even smaller baby glock models in the .40 but they make a 9mm version and a .357 sig version also.

Smith & Wesson makes good handguns, Glock's are awesome, some complain of the grip and those people tend to be pussies, I have small ahnds and I fire my Model 22 for qualification and fire 520 and higher scores every time, came near 600 several times, just be sure whatever you buy has good sights, and you learn to fire it properly, load it properly, clean it properly and learn what to do if it jams or otherwise fails because combat shooting is NOT target shooting.

My personal reccomendations for you:

1. Glock (any caliber you want doesn't really matter, they make medium full and even small 'baby glock sizes').

2. Walther (they make 9mm, .22, and .40 cal in good packages and still reliable and relatively inexpensive.) You may look at the P22 or PPK or PPS.

3. Sig Sauer (these are a bit more expensive, unless its the .22 itsl ike 350 in most stores, may even find it cheaper.)

I also own a Beretta m92f 9mm and it's a good gun too but its not as easy to conceal, and it isnt as reliable as the glock has proven itself. There are tons of brands but I stick with what works, a lot of people like guns for the looks, cool factor, or some bullshit brand loyalty. The point is get something you feel comfortable shooting ,carrying and cleaning nothing else really matters, don't go cheap on a firearm and dont buy something your unsure on, GOOD LUCK!!!!

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
bhmsupra;1171609 said:
03bama is smokin crack. Dont ever carry a 22 for personal defense. The 380 is lighter and smaller than the 9mm (both ammo and gun). I just know too many folks that leave the 9mm at home or in the glovebox instead of inside the waistband where it belongs. Ammo cost should not be a factor unless you are shooting dozens of folks on a weekly basis.

Another consideration is finish. If this is a primary carry gun, stainless would be a good choice. The LCP that 03bamaGT suggests is polymer coated and also works nicely too.

Last word of advise, never comprimise quality for cost when it comes to a personal defense weapon. Wait a few more months, put 10% to 20% with your money and buy the best gun you can afford. The fireearm market is very competitive, you usually get what you pay for. Plus, a well kept gun usually holds it value pretty good.

Shoot straight

Woah...easy there killer.

I suggested the LCP...in my first posts he said he was looking at the Walther and I was just stating it was a good gun. JD had one and said it was a great shooting .22 as well as a few other of my friends.

If you can find an LCP...go for it. I know we order 150 or so at a time and it takes like a month to get them and distributed to our store. So good luck.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
03bamaGT;1172658 said:
Woah...easy there killer.

I suggested the LCP...in my first posts he said he was looking at the Walther and I was just stating it was a good gun. JD had one and said it was a great shooting .22 as well as a few other of my friends.

If you can find an LCP...go for it. I know we order 150 or so at a time and it takes like a month to get them and distributed to our store. So good luck.

Yo bro - I was just kiddin. I know you aren't a crack head yet. The LCP just got a recall memo from Ruger, it's behind the counter at work somewhere so read up. Something about it accidentally discharging if dropped, go figure.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
bhmsupra;1173107 said:
Yo bro - I was just kiddin. I know you aren't a crack head yet. The LCP just got a recall memo from Ruger, it's behind the counter at work somewhere so read up. Something about it accidentally discharging if dropped, go figure.

sounds like the problem the SR9 had

kingofyo1

Oct 22, 2008
mountain home ID
bhmsupra;1171609 said:

Shoot straight

THANK YOU!!! finally read something that is taking personal defense into consideration. anyone that tells you to get a 22 for anything besides target practice, or a 25 for anything besides hitting off a tree stump to ricochet and hit you in the face is retarded. as bhm said, 380s are lighter and smaller than 9s but in all honesty for personal defense the 9s are better. is this gun a personal defender or a target gun, op?

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
kingofyo1;1173224 said:
THANK YOU!!! finally read something that is taking personal defense into consideration. anyone that tells you to get a 22 for anything besides target practice, or a 25 for anything besides hitting off a tree stump to ricochet and hit you in the face is retarded. as bhm said, 380s are lighter and smaller than 9s but in all honesty for personal defense the 9s are better. is this gun a personal defender or a target gun, op?

imho, the velocity on most 9mm round is too fast

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
kingofyo1;1173224 said:

I think that if you read the thread...on the first page he states that it will be on his person all the time.:3d_frown:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Clueless;1173229 said:
imho, the velocity on most 9mm round is too fast

This is why I carry a .45.

I load with non +P Gold Dot hollow points. They are big, slow and have little chance of over penetration. The recoil is relatively low for a large bore, and it lets me put out very accurate center mass double and triple taps.

I've been daily carrying a large frame .45 auto for well over 15 years. I'd never carry anything else. Even if I were forced to carry something "smaller" in package, it would still be a .45, just in a smaller frame.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Supracentral;1173296 said:
This is why I carry a .45.

I load with non +P Gold Dot hollow points. They are big, slow and have little chance of over penetration. The recoil is relatively low for a large bore, and it lets me put out very accurate center mass double and triple taps.

I've been daily carrying a large frame .45 auto for well over 15 years. I'd never carry anything else. Even if I were forced to carry something "smaller" in package, it would still be a .45, just in a smaller frame.

I had carried a 40 S&W kahr for it being compact and a nice grip, but the recoil will wreak your accuracy and fatigue your hand.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Yea 9mm has a good entrance wound generally but lacks the expansion time in the body. Still, with the right round, it is a great gun. Put some Federal PDs, Hornady TAP, Cor-Bon, Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger's in it and they do the job.

SC...if you want a 1911 style frame then check out the Springfield EMP and the Kimber Pro-Carry. They are pretty sweet little carry 1911s.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Clueless;1173301 said:
I been thinking of getting a 1911 for carrying since I sold my ruger

They are great reliable guns...only issue I have with them, most C models will have single stacks. This allows for drastically fewer rounds.

Kind of off topic...I had a guy come in one time and wanted the Millenium Pro from Taurus. I expressed my concerns to him about buying a pistol that cheap and that they had been having issues with them jamming. I pulled out the gun for him and immediately there were issues. The slide release wasn't releasing and took about 5 minutes to release. Once it was released, he wanted to look at it. He took it, racked the slide, and the release worked. He did it a few times and handed it back. I got two more people to look at it, and same issue. It was off and on. I told him this, and in short he called us stupid and we know nothing about guns...etc. SO he asks me, will it fire once? I said atleast with one in the chamber. He said then thats all I need!!!! I was like you idiot:nono:. Anywho...he bought the gun. End of rant.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
03bamaGT;1173313 said:
They are great reliable guns...only issue I have with them, most C models will have single stacks. This allows for drastically fewer rounds.

Kind of off topic...I had a guy come in one time and wanted the Millenium Pro from Taurus. I expressed my concerns to him about buying a pistol that cheap and that they had been having issues with them jamming. I pulled out the gun for him and immediately there were issues. The slide release wasn't releasing and took about 5 minutes to release. Once it was released, he wanted to look at it. He took it, racked the slide, and the release worked. He did it a few times and handed it back. I got two more people to look at it, and same issue. It was off and on. I told him this, and in short he called us stupid and we know nothing about guns...etc. SO he asks me, will it fire once? I said atleast with one in the chamber. He said then thats all I need!!!! I was like you idiot:nono:. Anywho...he bought the gun. End of rant.

I'm used to my ruger, 8 in the mag and one in the tube....but it FTF like crazy

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Wills7MGTE;1172615 said:
Glock's are awesome, some complain of the grip and those people tend to be pussies
Thr grip angle on Glocks=crap. My handgun is worth 3 glocks. I guess the people that love glocks tend to be cheap asses. :nono:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Dachande;1173697 said:
Thr grip angle on Glocks=crap. My handgun is worth 3 glocks. I guess the people that love glocks tend to be cheap asses. :nono:

Agreed

The Glocks I tried seemed to be roughly the right PRICE, but they were not comfortable for me.