pistol help

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Dachande;1173697 said:
Thr grip angle on Glocks=crap. My handgun is worth 3 glocks. I guess the people that love glocks tend to be cheap asses. :nono:

Hmm...interesting generalization. Buddy of mine has a Glock, must be a cheap ass. All the sheriff buddies of mine own a Glocks, must be cheap asses. They all having nothing but praises about their Glocks. Yes the grip angle is different, doesn't mean it is crap.

Congrats...you have a $1500 gun I am assuming. Cool. Probably just as reliable as a Glock.

Glock is a good reliable gun...hands down.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well price isn't everything, you pay 30k for a 1994 mk4 supra and guess what there are plenty of cars that can still spank it stock for stock, Glocks are not expensive guns, they are polymer, they don't have wood grips or any real extras, I love my Kimber .45 but I wouldn't want to try and hide it on myself with plain clothes on.

I honestly don't see how the grip is uncomfortable, I fired between 300 and 400 rounds through it per day for 2 weeks during our handgun orientation and then another 100 to 200 a day for a 4 day period for our combat courses. No blisters, calluses or other Owies to speak of. The recoil doesn't seem any worse than my 9mm and maybe its due to the ported barrell which cost a staggering 5$ over a standard G22 price.

My Kimber Pro carry is more powerful, what .45 isn't anything bigger you'd need a .44 mag or .357 or maybe a .50 although the desert eagles are mainly for show, most people can't handle them and they are heavy.

I use the Hornady .40S&W TAP 185 JHP Hydrashock round in my Glock it produces about the same recoil as my 9mm loaded with a proportionally similar load and the muzzle flash is even less than with my low grain FMJ target ammo.

I wouldn't say I am a cheap ass, I own several guns worth a lot more than my glock, however for the money it is a lot of bang for the buck and it's also extremly reliable, and since this kids just turned 21, doesn't know jack about firearms it would be a nice forgiving place to start and to learn since you can abuse glocks and still have them function properly. I try and maintain all my weapons as good as I can, my good friend has 2 glocks that he cleans once in a blue moon and they have yet to fail, I've seen them dropped into mud and puddles and dirt and they fire and fire, about the only way to foul one up is use shitty magazines that are worn out or defective.

Just some points to think about, I just love when people go for the price issue, especially coming from a guy on the MK3 Supra forums, I mean my god for 10k you can buy 2 in mint condition and have some left over to do tune ups, oil changes and maybe a new head unit, but dachande maybe you are really better than all of us because you only use 1200+ firearms or maybe you just havent ever had to get dirty with one, IDK.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Do you do hand loads Will? Just wondering how you got HTAP with HydraShock? I would use the HydraShock case and Federal PD primers. They are coated primers and a better case.

I personally like the Glock...but thats me, everyone is different.

I am only 19...but I sell guns 5 days a week, around people that shoot all day, etc. I have a Concealed license...one of a few under 21 in Alabama. So I do know what I am talking about. I shoot as often as I can and try to expand my knowledge all the time. I am a member of snipershide.net and other forums.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Two recommendations for CC & personal protection:

1. Kahr PM9 or PM40 if you don't mind the recoil. I have a Kahr MK9 - same size as the PM9, but no polymer, so it's a bit heavier. I carry it IWB and pocket, and it's on me every single day. 9mm is a proven personal defense round, but if you have doubts the 40 cal version is the same size, and 45 is just a bit larger. Trigger pull is a dream, and no matter how I carry, it doesn't print enough that anybody has ever called me out on it. GREAT gun for CC, and with the 7 round mag, fun and accurate at the range.

2. .38 ultra-lightweight snubby. I overlooked this for until I got talking with some cops and found out that as much as my Kahr is a great carry piece, these are incredible for CC. You cannot pick them out in the pocket of a pair of jeans with a good pocket holster (hammerless, or shrouded hammer recommended!). The trigger pull on the hammerless is especially hard, so they are carry pieces first and less fun at the range. Buy one, carry it, and know that the 38 Special is a good bad guy stopper, especially in +P. If you want to shoot a bunch at the range, buy a good inexpensive .22 semi to go with it like the Ruger MKIII. S&W is great, but for half the price there's nothing wrong with Taurus, and for a little less yet you have Charter. My stepdaughter turns 21 this spring, and this will be her birthday gift. My wife gets one for her birthday this year, and I might pick up a third for myself. Who knows, it might end up being my carry piece more often than my Kahr, as much as I love it. :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If and when I get caught up with everything else that I owe, I'm going to buy myself and my wife a hand gun. Ryan, I'll be looking you up soon.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Dachande;1174213 said:
Congrats..sarcasm escapes you.

Hmm...looks like I hit a nerve. My bad:nono:.

Just think that calling people that own Glocks cheap asses might be the wrong generalization for you to think. Just a thought.

Oh and FYI...Glock beats out all of the thousand dollar guns like STI, SVI, S&W Custom, Sig, Hk, in the steel competitions a lot of the time. Just because the gun is cheaper doesn't mean its worse. Sometimes simple is good.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
03bamaGT;1174228 said:
Hmm...looks like I hit a nerve. My bad:nono:.

Just think that calling people that own Glocks cheap asses might be the wrong generalization for you to think. Just a thought.

Oh and FYI...Glock beats out all of the thousand dollar guns like STI, SVI, S&W Custom, Sig, Hk, in the steel competitions a lot of the time. Just because the gun is cheaper doesn't mean its worse. Sometimes simple is good.

Yea, price doesn't always mean quality... lot of people dog on hipoints but I rather have a hipoint then a glock.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Something to remember, bigger caliber doesnt mean bigger gun. My 9mm is the exact same size gun as my friends .45(both springfield armory XDs).

Id say go with the new spring field armory XDm or what ever they are calling it in whatever caliber you want.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Take it a step further and look at guns chambered in .45 GAP like the para CCO-GAP:

HGpara_052307A.jpg

It's all the benefits of a .45 ACP in a 9mm sized frame. The grips are small like a 9mm so this opens up .45's to people with smaller hands, etc.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
iwannadie;1174792 said:
Something to remember, bigger caliber doesnt mean bigger gun. My 9mm is the exact same size gun as my friends .45(both springfield armory XDs).

Id say go with the new spring field armory XDm or what ever they are calling it in whatever caliber you want.

They only have the XDm in a .40 and 9mm I believe. And XDs are the one of the only pistols that doesn't increase frame size when going to a .45.

SC...I love Para Ord. pistols. The GAP is a great round that retains the balistics of the ACP...but cost of shooting is much higher I believe.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
03bamaGT;1174807 said:
They only have the XDm in a .40 and 9mm I believe. And XDs are the one of the only pistols that doesn't increase frame size when going to a .45.

The XD comes in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP, but I don't know about the XDm (misread it at first, heheh). I've got the 9mm and absolutely love it. To my knowledge they all come in different barrel lengths as well (the sub-compact also has a shorter grip IIRC) so you have some options.

Last edited: