Piping bead rollers? Where to buy

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I'm looking to purchase a bead roller to roll some beads on some intercooler piping, I found some "bead rollers" but it doesn't look like they are designed for piping. Anyone know where I can buy a tool like this?

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i've seen the harbor freight one,the dye's aren't big at all.i'm going to buy it after the holiday's.i have two bead's to roll on one pipe,maybe i can sell it after

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The cheap ones (like the one that I posted) won't do thick materials, and aren't terribly durable. Now the one IJ has will do thick material all day, everyday, forever...

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Poodles;1195162 said:
The cheap ones (like the one that I posted) won't do thick materials, and aren't terribly durable. Now the one IJ has will do thick material all day, everyday, forever...

I'm just looking to do strictly intercooler piping, no crazy thick gauge, should be able to handle it right?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep - HF and Summit sell one for $130. They will do up to 18 gauge sheet metal - so as long as you use 18 gauge tubing, you will be fine ;)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
jetjock;1195197 said:
Meh, run a weld bead around the tubing. Not that I've ever done that ;)

Expensive overpriced tig welding in my area, and they aren't even dime welds, this is a financially strong decision in my case.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You'll still need to anneal Aluminium no matter which one if you want pretty beads, grab a bar of soap and some water lather up your hands and wipe on where the bead is going to be then grab a heat source ie: Oxy torch and heat until the soap turns black.

Bingo annealed aluminium to T0 ready to roll :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
IJ.;1195232 said:
You'll still need to anneal Aluminium no matter which one if you want pretty beads, grab a bar of soap and some water lather up your hands and wipe on where the bead is going to be then grab a heat source ie: Oxy torch and heat until the soap turns black.

Bingo annealed aluminium to T0 ready to roll :)

Holy shit, that is the single most ingenious thing I've ever heard!

JetJock, that's what I told him to do - since that's what I did ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm old I remember these things ;)
(the other less accurate way is to carbon it up with a rich torch flame then heat till the carbon burns off and it's around about the correct temp)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The cheap HF roller flexes too much for thick metals used in intercooler piping. Some people weld it up with gussets to get more rigidity, but I'd just spend the money to get something better like in SD2's post. The HF roller also can't bead anything smaller than 2.5" dia. Mine sits in my garage a testimony to my bad judgement.