Pilot Bearing / Rebuild progress and Q

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
So, I kind of just want to lay out and ask a question as well.
On the back side of the slope rebuilding and painting engine/bay etc. Was removing the pilot bearing last night to finally get the block off the stand and put the new stage 2 clutch back together.
After watching the center race explode leaving the outer race stuck in the crank (and alot of swearing) I finally get it out together and looks fantastic.
pretty excited to see the full color scheme all assembled instead of parts sprawled out through the house angering my wife.

But to the question. When I first got the car to running condition to familiarize myself with the engine before tearing it completely down, It ran awesome ran hard,
But randomly If I just hammard on it it would fuel cut. I had replaced all inter cooler line checked for boost leak and such but it still would randomly decide to cut.
I am running the stock CT26 and i know the stock boost gauge isn't dead precise but when it spooled it would smash the needled past 8+
I do run a 3inch down pipe no cat just straight to the baffle.

I'm just shooting this out to get ideas where to look or what to do to hopefully not run into the cut problem.
I use a DM 8lb wastegate I've rebuilt the CT26 with a DM kit no excessive play in the turbo
I don't want to say just get a Lexus AFM housing to hide it or do I need one just because the exhaust upgrade?

I've got some pictures of the build and when I finish this weekend or mid next week I'll toss some up to see the new Flat black / baby blue engine :D

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Sounds like your wastegate is not opening at a low enough pressure. You may also need to port the wastegate hole on your turbo if you can confirm it is opening.

After upgrading my Exhaust+IC I could not run less than about 9-10 lbs on the stock wastegate. I ported the ex housing slightly and it allowed me to run in the factory 5psi range again and adjust via boost controller.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
you wouldn't happen to have a pic of how much you ported would you? Waiting on some parts and was curious if should just flair the port or if you enlarged the entire depth of the turbo's exhaust

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Just the wastgate hole.... if you measure the hole and the flapper you will see it has quite a bit of overlap just enlarge it slightly with a die grinder. Also you can slightly radius the side of the hole towards the engine on the inside of the scroll housing. DO NOT radius the opposite side.

Edit: Someone was not as lazy as me and put pics up: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...page5&highlight=boost creep wastegate porting

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
alright , I had an Idea of just flairing the flap side but just wanted to double check before I start removing material.
I appreciate the info GC ^^

I do also have another waste gate control in the garage one that has an adjustable tension along the arm to the flap.
I'm not a big fan of that one just because i really never know where I am at with it.
the DM 8 and a DM 11 more reliable
but the DM 11 sits on the shelf for future upgrades

always nervous to post img, it's not as awesome as most ppls but where i am at :S
the 3000 Tube has same color scheme but ill post a pic of it when i'm done assembling and fix the clutch issue.
TkQrtdfm.jpg

Last edited:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
UpDate:
So before porting the turbo I wanted to test all options. I spent alot of time reading through that port topic ( THANK YOU GC89 )
they mentioned when installing the wastegate if it was hard to pull the top to the 2 mounting bolts, which would cause it to not open at low pressure like GC had stated.
So after all the reading I sat looking at my turbo on the table with the dremel. I took one last look at the Adjustable wastegate on the shelf and said to myself "try the damn thing one more time before you break something"
So I sat at the table adjusting the arm of the wastegate to where it was tight to install but not Crazy.
I put the car back together "timed it"
and just an FYI (most prolly know) If your car doesn't have a power steering pump don't forget to plug that lower hole in the accordion hose (had removed plug to clean )
Soooo I plugged that, the 24 left and Finished timing and drove the car.

2 Things
1: The stage2 clutch is nothing like I have ever delt with (am a nub) Its crazy responsive....I like it :p
2: The adjustable wastegate paid off, It didnt spool early it would calmly spool depending on the amount of throttle was given. I hadn't driven the car since I think Late June or early July when starting the full engine pull & build.
It's good to have the beast back and running Hard