pillar pods vs possible other options.

audia4guy08

Oct 23, 2011
Tacoma,WA
I've got my wideband coming in next week but I can't decide if I want to get a pillar pod to mount it in or come up with another option. When I had my Audi a few years ago I was looking at the podi.ca steering column gauge pod they are pretty nice and I was looking for something like that for my supra but I've only come up with DIY ones and a few clip on looking ones. I am basically looking for something along the lines of the one pictured if anyone has any clues as to where to look it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• podi.jpg
    podi.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 51

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
I have a dual pillar pod for boost and EGT and my wideband on my steering column

p1913519_1.jpg

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
As long as the lights on the pillar pod are turned down, they actually work pretty well, took me a week to find the turn down, but they didn't bother me like I thought they would once I found it

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i like the 2 gauge pillar pod the best even matches my interior pretty much spot on and kept the "oh shit" handle lol

my gauges aren't bright to me even at night

p1913565_1.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just screwed the mount to the base of the A pillar. It actually is really neatly done and next best thing to a pod. (only had one gauge and couldnt find a single pod replacement) I have just off the dash enough to get your hand under it so its not in my line of view while driving, but I can see it constantly while driving out of the edge of my vision.

wasn't too sure about putting it up like that, but now that its there, it works very well. Thought I had a photo of it, but will need to go snap one to show.

(easy to imagine.. just imagine the gauge with the pillar pod.. now remove the pod) :D

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Why not just put the gauges required into the cluster that's already there?

My wideband is where the cigarette light is, my boost controller is currently in the ash tray's spot. I'll be updating the gauge cluster with the proper size gauges as well. Using new oil pressure and boost gauges. Underneath where my headunit goes I'll be installing my EGT and maybe oil temp gauge.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
My boost gauge is where the CIG lighter is. But to each his own, I took out my dash box counsel and am working on a diamond plated CNC cutout that will have my safc, wideband, oil, and egt sitting in front of passenger where the ECU is.

They will be angled towards the driver seat of course. Will be able to just unlatch the face plate to get to the ecu. I will post pics when done.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
BrandonW;1913565 said:
i like the 2 gauge pillar pod the best even matches my interior pretty much spot on and kept the "oh shit" handle lol

my gauges aren't bright to me even at night

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/BrandonMW86/pillarpod-1.jpg

I had the exact same setup in my old car, a 2-pod pillar + AEM Wideband and Tru-Boost. I really liked it except for the gauges themselves. The Tru-Boost and Wideband were very different brightness at night, and it really bothered my super-OCD brain. If the two gauges matched better, it would have been perfect.

7M4EVR;1913665 said:
My boost gauge is where the CIG lighter is. But to each his own, I took out my dash box counsel and am working on a diamond plated CNC cutout that will have my safc, wideband, oil, and egt sitting in front of passenger where the ECU is.

They will be angled towards the driver seat of course. Will be able to just unlatch the face plate to get to the ecu. I will post pics when done.

I had a car with the cigarette lighter replaced with a boost gauge at one point. It was far too low down and impossible to look at while driving. I would have much rather put up with the somewhat annoying pillar gauges than having them out of my line of sight. My $0.02

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
hmm im pretty sure mine are exactly the same brightness at night maybe i haven't payed much attention to the brightness other then the fact that they don't bother me at night

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Boost and wideband in a Lotek dual pillar pod, water temp going in cig lighter spot, and above the glove box in the grate area where the cabin temp sensor is, is where I will be mounting my AVCR. Fits perfect in there. Just have to trim the plastic to fit and use double sided tape and the cord fits down the same hole as the wire for the sensor with no problems. I had it done on my RHD one while I was in Germany. I have a few pics of it on my external. Works beyond perfect there because if I have a passenger and I have to make an adjustment, I dont have to take my eyes off of anything. They can make the adjustment for me.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'm planning on doing a two pillar pod with Boost and AFRs, and then a dual column pod (nothing like the single pod posted in this thread.. Way too high up on that one) with EGTs and Oil Pressure/Water Temp. Or Water Temp / Oil Pressure. I dunno. But I like a twin pillar pod and twin column pod.

audia4guy08

Oct 23, 2011
Tacoma,WA
I went ahead and got the lotek two pillar pod for now, if I end up not liking it i'll just sell it and get something else I suppose. I wonder if podi might be interested in making a custom one for the supra haha I guess I could shoot them an e-mail worst that they can say is no right :D

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
My truboost and wideband were a different brightness as well..
switched to a mechanical autometer boost gauge because i like watching a needle climb:)
and I personally love the look of gauges on a pillar pod. but eh, some people dont I guess!