Piece of garbage ps3(keeps breaking)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ok just an update, I took it back to the repair place they said no problem it's under warranty they wil re-flux it again. I will get it back tomorrow and hopefully it starts up and is fine for a few hours. I will finalize my backups and put the original HD back in and format it. I found gamestop is doing a deal now for ps3 trade-ins. I will get $180 off a new slim in return for my old busted joint. Not the best solution but more than I expected.

I had a few friends offer to buy it when I said I would like to get a 100 bucks out of it. I just hate to sell it however knowing it's got this issue and will likely last a few weeks. At least gamestop is sending them back to sony and not reselling them in store.

Last edited:

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
redma70;1544644 said:
two words for you.... XBOX 360

:-D

Yes, the highest console failure rate of all time vs a consumer average. LOL.

Anyway, if you have a YLoD death, most fixes depending on what they do are only temporary. At the point of YLoD you should sell it for parts, and get new one. You'll be about half way there.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
i have a second gen 40gig and no problems but i have a few friends with 1st gen and there are some issues with the HD coming disconnected due to overheating. i'm not sure fans or more space would help with that probelm it sounded more like a weak link problem vs a over use problem. and if you can stay with the original PS3 the new slim ones are dumbed down on feautres of the big ones. that said if i was in the same situation 180$ towards a new one is pretty steallar.

and come on go XBOX instead of PS3!!! how many times do you hear about an XBOX dying vs the few PS3's that crap out.

just me $.02 not flaming xbox guys ( i have one anyways)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraOfDoom;1544941 said:
Yes, the highest console failure rate of all time vs a consumer average. LOL.

Anyway, if you have a YLoD death, most fixes depending on what they do are only temporary. At the point of YLoD you should sell it for parts, and get new one. You'll be about half way there.

At least microshit gives us new ones for free....

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
starscream5000;1544704 said:
My original 40GB did the same thing. Took it in to reflux it and no probs since then, but I run fans on both PS3's now when I play them. And they're not the cheap fans that connect to the PS3 itself and run off the USB ports, I'm talking about a regular wall outlet fan.

My rear intercooler runs off normal 120 like in the pic I posted. It is a "puller" fan, and I still want to get one of the front ones that runs off the usb as a "pusher". Cheap, ect. what ever, as long as the fans move air it is what you need to help out cool the electrical components.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraOfDoom;1544960 said:
Yes, congrats. Maybe when Sony has the same failure rate ( 3x higher ) they will be sued into extending the warranty as well. People act like Microsoft did that to be nice.

Failure rate or not, a company should warranty its product.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
SupraMario;1545004 said:
Failure rate or not, a company should warranty its product.

It's warrantied as much as any other electronic product. Don't even pretend like you'd go above and beyond for no reason if it was you running the company. If its a disaster then they will be forced into an extended warranty anyway, but until that point it's not needed. Honestly if people are that worried about it they should buy a warranty when they purchase the system. My friend got a 5 year warranty through Sam's Club for $50. $10 a year aint so bad.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SupraOfDoom;1545097 said:
It's warrantied as much as any other electronic product. Don't even pretend like you'd go above and beyond for no reason if it was you running the company. If its a disaster then they will be forced into an extended warranty anyway, but until that point it's not needed. Honestly if people are that worried about it they should buy a warranty when they purchase the system. My friend got a 5 year warranty through Sam's Club for $50. $10 a year aint so bad.

Any Failure is a reason to warranty a product if it is the fault of the company...this is the reason we have SHIT products because you will pay for a warranty and the company knows it. I stand by my post. Most HDD manufactures have a 5+ year warranty and their products get abused 10 fold compared to consoles.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
I have had a first gen 60 gig ps3 for 3+ years, it sits in the bottom of my entertainment center with very poor ventilation and have never once had an issue. I am by no means a "hardcore gamer", I just dont have the time, mine is more multimedia use (dvd's, BR's, music, internet, etc) but around christmas it gets quite a workout with new games. I am very satisfied with my ps3 thus far.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
My freind makes a living of repairing both PS3's And Xbox's among a few other gadgets. He seems to be doing well

Apr 1, 2005
WA
Why do people keep saying they have a "second gen" 40gig? As far as I know (and according to wikipedia), there has only been one 40gig model released, and that was a 3rd gen.

Anyways, I've had my 40gig for over 2 years and its usually on 24/7. If my roomie or I aren't gaming, then its folding. Never had a problem with heat.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
general census seems to be those who have an XBOX love it, and those who have a PS3 love it..

it's like trying to convince a lesbian how good your dick is...

just ain't gonna happen...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
RazoE;1545362 said:
general census seems to be those who have an XBOX love it, and those who have a PS3 love it..

it's like trying to convince a lesbian how good your dick is...

just ain't gonna happen...

It's like trying to explain to someone why you like the supra or why you prefer pepsi over coke. Fanboys on each side will never understand the others point of view and it is a never ending argument that gets old fast.