Picked up some 18 Rota P-45f's with 255s

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I grabbed these off a craigslist ad with almost new tires.

attachment

But they got stolen :cry:

I picked them up Friday at around 5:30pm then I went to a church event where we were spending the night at the church. I had to leave the wheels in my car overnight because I live over an hour away. I went to my car at 3:00am to make sure it was locked before I went to sleep. 3:47am a small white pickup pulled up, some guys got out, broke into my supra and took them. It's on the security cam, a detective dusted for prints and I'm trying to work out insurance stuff, but this sucks! I only had the wheels and tires for a little over 10hrs.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
I wonder if it was the people you bought them off? I know I heard of people doing that before happened to my nomes friend on Craigslist.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
dubsupra209;1887838 said:
I wonder if it was the people you bought them off? I know I heard of people doing that before happened to my nomes friend on Craigslist.

This crossed my mind, but I really doubt it. The guy I bought them from had them on an evo ix. I went to his house to pick them up and he's got a nice bmw and his track evo that he was working on. I spent a while talking to him about car stuff and he seemed like a really great guy. I know he's been using the wheels on the evo, because I saw old fb pictures and I saw the new wheels he has on there now. plus he took a check for them. The wheels were pretty visible because I don't have window tint so I bet someone just saw them.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
So I just found out today that my homeowners insurance denied my claim because they do not cover "equipment, accessories and parts while in or upon the motor vehicle." Does that seem right to you guys?!?! If I had a bicycle or a snowboard or anything else stolen I would have a claim, but now I don't because it was car parts that was stolen. I understand the intent of that statement, they don't want to replace you're $3k sound system that you leave in your car all the time. This doesn't seem like the same thing to me. Feels like they just copped out on a technicality that wasn't in the intent of the previous statement.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Grandavi;1888540 said:
wouldn't your auto insurance cover it?
Exactamundo! You wouldn't file an Auto claim if someone broke into your house.....so why file a homeowners claim on a car for 1 and for 2 it wasn't even at the house where the insurance is for. No wonder they denied it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Canuckrz;1887900 said:
Must have been Rota's crack team of Quality Control experts come to recall the rims.
Hate to make light of the situation, but that's pretty funny.

Grandavi;1888540 said:
Should cover it under comprehensive, IF you have it on a 20 year old car. Not too many people bother unfortunately. Really isn't that expensive either...

Kelson, this is almost as bad as the time my buddy had a 95 240sx for about that much time... Anyway, keep an eye on CL, as well as Facebook to see if anything pops up. Do you have any way of proving that they were yours? Was the car locked/alarmed? Lastly, could you have brought them inside the church and stuck them in a closet for a bit?

Just for fun, maybe Jesus doesn't like Rotas either. :p

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
te72;1888585 said:
Hate to make light of the situation, but that's pretty funny.

Should cover it under comprehensive, IF you have it on a 20 year old car. Not too many people bother unfortunately. Really isn't that expensive either...

Kelson, this is almost as bad as the time my buddy had a 95 240sx for about that much time... Anyway, keep an eye on CL, as well as Facebook to see if anything pops up. Do you have any way of proving that they were yours? Was the car locked/alarmed? Lastly, could you have brought them inside the church and stuck them in a closet for a bit?

Just for fun, maybe Jesus doesn't like Rotas either. :p

Don't worry I thought that comment was pretty funny too. I know Rota has gotten a bit of a bad reputation, but the p45f's don't seem to have any problems.

I only have liability on my supra, so I don't have theft covered for supra. homeowners covers theft from your vehicle too it doesn't have to be at your home. like I said previously if it had been a bike or a snowboard it would have been covered. Could maybe identify them because I actually measured the tread depth and know exactly what it was, plus I could point out at least one unique paint chip. I'm seriously upset that I didn't take the wheels inside, because I was very worried about them getting stolen. I thought I was just being paranoid and they were dirty and it wan't my church so I thought it best to leave them out. wrong choice. I did make sure it was locked though, no alarm. I don't know why this happened to me but I do know God will use it for something. Maybe Jesus doesn't like rota's, I know He has insurance and they were stolen from His house, so I'm sure he'll take care of it. As I see it, everything I own is His anyways, I just hope he prefers volks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It all works out one way or another man. Maybe the cops will catch them rolling around on those and end up finding other charges against them. Reminds me of the time we caught someone stealing an ICE CREAM BAR from the Blockbuster I worked at years ago. One of my coworkers went outside as they left and wrote down their plate. They came back in to ask why we were writing down the plates, by which time we had already called the cops.

We explain that we saw them take the ice cream (on CCTV too), cops show up and question them and us, watch the CCTV, run a check on the people, find out one of them has a warrant out. Gets arrested on their birthday.

Who knows, maybe they'll get caught with more dirt and your wheels will bust a theft ring or something.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Grandavi;1888540 said:

This.
Assuming you got the police incident report. Was anything else taken? Also might run into the same issue with an auto claim, depending upon your policy. My work trucks carry around $14k machines and none of those machines was covered against damage or theft until my most recent renewal, They aren't PART of the vehicle. If it turned out they had been "installed" (cough-cough) on the car, and if the police report doesnt specifically state that they were INSIDE the car, well, then... you would be golden.