Picked up a Pioneer TS-w302R

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Hi guys , picked up a Pioneer TS-w302R sub with the following specs.

Subwoofer Specifications
Subwoofer Size 12"
Voice Coil(s) Single
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
Peak Power Handling 800 watts
RMS Power Handling 150 watts
Woofer Composition Injection Molded Polypropylene (IMPP)
Woofer Surround Urethane
Sensitivity 97 dB
Frequency Response 20 - 90 Hz
Xmax (millimeters) 8.8 mm
Top Mount Depth 5-3/4"
Shallow Mount Installation No

What amplifier would you guys recommend to use with this sub?

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
i dont want to be a stereo jerk here but i hope you didnt pay much for that sub as the rms watts are junk and for very little cost you could get a sub that could handle real power, even if you dont want to pound, you could keep the gains low but head room is nice. my 8" sundown can handle 400w rms and will out perform that pioneer in every way. but more to your point any amp will work and sound ok just make sure it isnt very powerfull. for 150 watts you should be able to find an amp brand new for 100 bucks easy at the most, i would stay away from anymore pioneer junk and dont go for sony or anything like that either, if you can buy it at best buy its best to avoid it in most cases....now that being said im sorry for bashing your gear. if i was you i would get a nice amp so youll have room to grow when you blow that sub (which wont take long). look at polk audio, AQ audio, DC audio, also hifonics are nice and pretty inexpensive, even use kicker but i personally wouldnt buy anything lower than kicker.

and like i said i know your probly not trying to be heard for miles but a low watt sub is not the way to go at all, youll get better sound from a proper sub in a PROPER built box (NOT PREFAB) and keeping your gains down, if your gonna waste trunk space it might as well be the best you can get right?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
jrot;1752213 said:
i dont want to be a stereo jerk here but i hope you didnt pay much for that sub as the rms watts are junk and for very little cost you could get a sub that could handle real power, even if you dont want to pound, you could keep the gains low but head room is nice. my 8" sundown can handle 400w rms and will out perform that pioneer in every way. but more to your point any amp will work and sound ok just make sure it isnt very powerfull. for 150 watts you should be able to find an amp brand new for 100 bucks easy at the most, i would stay away from anymore pioneer junk and dont go for sony or anything like that either, if you can buy it at best buy its best to avoid it in most cases....now that being said im sorry for bashing your gear. if i was you i would get a nice amp so youll have room to grow when you blow that sub (which wont take long). look at polk audio, AQ audio, DC audio, also hifonics are nice and pretty inexpensive, even use kicker but i personally wouldnt buy anything lower than kicker.

and like i said i know your probly not trying to be heard for miles but a low watt sub is not the way to go at all, youll get better sound from a proper sub in a PROPER built box (NOT PREFAB) and keeping your gains down, if your gonna waste trunk space it might as well be the best you can get right ?

I do have to agree with 97% of everything you've posted here with one exception.

Have you been to a Best Buy in the last year? Don't expect to walk out with a Sony or Pioneer subwoofer.
They completely flipped their company branding to 'average Joe' performance but are sticking with solid names.
Polk Audio and Kicker were two HUGE investments for Best Buy in the car audio world...

(I only know this because I've been with the company for a long time and actually first started in Car Audio in the day) ;-)

My .02 on said subwoofer you've invested in...

It will go boom - No doubt. But don't have high expectations from it.
I've got 6 x 9's that support nearly as much RMS power as your subwoofer does (not a good thing).
jrot is correct though; It won't take much to power that speaker.

I see that you're in Australia - To be honest, I'm not sure what brands you have readily available... But I'll bet all of IJ's money that you can find something better for not a lot more money. ;-)

Hope that gives you a better idea on what you're working with.

Regards,

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
inna nutshell subs with a high sensitivity rating...say 95% or even higher dont need much power ....but yu give up power handling and strength. pioneer subs are fine in a sealed box if you dont beat on em too hard. i agree tho that you can buy much better for a lil more money...kicker and fosgate make tough subs. common misconception tho is that you can easily blow a speaker with too much power. you are more likely to blow speakers by overdriving them with distortion from an underpowered amp . just my .02

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
thanks for the reply guys!

it was a sub that was given to me, so I didnt pay a cent.

Just dropped a LARGE amount of money on my engine rebuild , rego , alarm etc.. so in no way shape or form was I looking to be an audiophile and get the best.

Ive always used Pioneer , Sony , JVC etc and they have suited my musical tastes fine , but by no means am I implying that I know enough to say they are good brands.

I just want deep bass in the car , im over the "hey everyone look at me " kind of bass that I used to crave as a teenage + now that my engine is rebuilt , il probably spend more time listening to the engine then the speakers..

but since I've already got the sub all boxed up , got a good head unit and already have 4' in the front and 6x9's in the back , I just wanted a cheap good quality amp that would be enough to power this sub , but reliable and not fail on me.

Not looking to spend any more then $120 (gotta save for some coilovers :) ) , Rockford Fosgate is waaaaaaay out of my price range

Here is a website from our local store , this should give you a good indication of the brands we have in Australia

http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Audio-s/1.htm