Picked up a broken R154, looking for advise to what problem might be

bewebdev

Aug 11, 2010
MN
I recently picked up a R154 from a local member who had used it in his MKIII for a long time. He said it was broken and would need a rebuild. After reading his description of symptoms, I feel like the gears and synchros may be fine, and that it is possibly a shift fork or something. Below is his description of what happened:

"
Today I drove her to work and 2nd gear started not going in very well. The shifter feels/looks like its in 2nd but car drive like its in nuetral. Pop it back out try all other gear and it works fine. Put it back into 2nd, car drive and feels normal again. On the way back home from work, stop at a light about a mile from home.
Light turn green, put it into 1st and start to drive but car is not moving, the engine just rev up. Tried to go into 2nd, same thing. Tried 3rd but its not going in then tried 4th, 5th, reverse, they all does not go in too. Tried 1st and 2nd again but got nothing. "

I have not opened it up yet. I am planning on opening it up soon (winter project), but was hoping someone may have heard of this issue before and point me in a good direction to look.

Thanks in advance,
Brian