pesky wrx

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
what would it take to beat a nearly stock wrx ( exhaust, no dp), how fast are they? i have an at 91 supra with 42000 miles, 3' exhuast,K&n filter, hard pipes and hks bov, and a new IC, ( custom, spearco core)

I am just curious because he keeps bugging me about it and saying how are cars suck so much......so i feel obligated now to beat him and will do what is neccesary?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If its a bone stock wrx and you actually have those mods with about 12-14psi you'll wax him no problem even if he jumps you off the line.

If he has exhaust and intake and a boost controller, you're toast untill 80mph... thats when you will start reeling him in.

Just fyi, alot of guys hate these "what if" questions here on the boards.

Go run him and tell us instead of "what if"?

mullenc525

Apr 4, 2005
I am guessing you are getting about 11 psi on those upgrades, making 270 rwhp on that auto...

If its not an STI you will beat him already, it only has 227 Hp.

If its an STI you will probably be fairly even, since they make 300 hp (I dont know if thats a lowball from subaru or not, but they would lose more through their awd). THey are lighter though, only about 3100 lbs.

With those mods you are safe to up the boost to right under fuel cut, probably near 12 psi for you.

I

itr206

just up the boost with those mods and youll leave that thing hanging

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Not much. Tell him that most new V6 family sedans can keep up with his little WRX. All you need is 12 pounds of boost along with your mods. And of coarse a healthy engine.

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
thanks, i was thinking of getting the maft-pro translator, becuas ethat also acts as a boost controller, so i could be killing a couple birds with just one stone, but i have to wait till after christmas, december is a bad time for spending....

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
My wife's car is an 02 wrx. I have a MBC and a AEM short ram intake on it stock everything else. It will run a 14.4 to a 14.55 or 6 in the 1/4 mile in the summer heat so don't underestimate the wrx if the driver has any skills. Try to race from a 35 or 40 roll and you will be fine. Our wrx sucks from a roll but from a dead dig up to about 80 it will hang with your Supra.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i beat an STi on the highway. walked on him pretty good, and that was 3" turboback, no cats, mbc not working right for whatever reason... fluctuating my boost, intake, MHG, UR flywheel

was also in like january, so it was about 2*f here....

he actually passed me, he must've been going about 80-100, and i was going 65-75, reeled him right in and spit him right out.

wrx's... i laugh at them

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Most WRX owners laugh at people who think racing is from a highway roll. If you want to win from a dig (real race), some decent tires and boost just under fuel cut should reel him back in before the 1/4.

blacksupra

Apr 9, 2005
Buena Park,CA
How can i boost my supra just below fuel cut?. I was hitting 8-9 psi before I got my ddp now 12 psi. I have a mbc but i can't get it right under fc.