Perplexing transmission problem...

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
I have an 89 turbo maft pro, 60-1 turbo and all supporting mods. I had the auto transmission rebuilt and ever since it has been acting strangely. With the cable hooked up to the throttle linkage and adjusted properly the car shifts into 2nd immediatly. (the car starts out in the wrong gear) If the cable is left unconnected the trans starts out in the correct gear but the shifts are slow and mushy. The shop is lost and has been working on my car since before fathers day! Please help

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Could be an issue with the manual linkage not being adjusted properly, or a leaking valve body gasket with the higher line pressure due to improper installation. Sounds mechanical to me if it goes into 1st with the lower line pressure.

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
yes TEMS car.

they have had the valve body in and out several times. I'd hope they would have put the valve body and gasket in correctly.
Devon- do you have a built valve body available?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tems cars will pick up 2nd gear from a standstill so the rear doesn't squat as you pull it into drive, not sure how this is done but I'd say it's to do with the shifter quadrant so Devin might be on the right track with the mechanical linkage.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Im guessing its an issue with a manual linkage or sticky valve. I have seen a very similar issue like this caused by a check ball installed in the wrong place in the valve body. It actually happened to my A340 when I first took it apart. It would go into 2nd and would be very laggy when shifting. I could get it into 1st but took 30 seconds some times.

Will it go into 1st gear if you put the gear selector in the L position?

I don't have any valve body's ready as there are a lot of differences. I prefer to have the valve body out of the car so it is matched correctly.

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
At a stop and in drive, the trans will be in first gear but as soon as you start to pull away the trans goes into second. Also, the problem seems to be worse after the trans gets warmed up.
If I put the selector in low it stays in first until I shift to second and lift off the throttle. If I don't lift off the gas the trans will stay in first all the way to the rev limiter eventhough the selector was moved to second.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
My ex girlfriends Kia rio did this turned out to need a new ignition Switch is what the shop said and when they fixed it problem was gone