performance upgrades in the right order

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
ok so I bought a 92 7mgte supra a month ago :crazy1: :wiggle: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: and I'm just a little excited (yea... right more like overly) to get it on the road (I'm in the middle of rebuilding the motor with performance parts (past owner spun two rods and blew the hg so why not build it now)). anyway I was wondering what order did everyone get their performance goodies. I just want something to hold me over till it her running. (maybe this could become a sticky) thanks

chandley

mkIII owner
Apr 27, 2006
SoCal
full intake and exhaust (I recommend apexi or K&N) and whatever exhaust.

And after that, I'm going with the lex afm/550's mod with a s-afcII. and upgraded turbo.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Downpipe, cat-back, intake, EBC, EGT/Wideband gauge. After that make sure the engine is running tip-top before proceeding past FCO. Change all your coolant hoses, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. Fuel pump, BOV, 550cc's, Lexus/VPC/MAFT, intercooler, turbo. Somewhere in there your car will decide you need a clutch, HG, etc. My clutch let go after EBC, my HG let go after turbo.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
not too worried about all the little stuff it was all replaced in an engine swap a few tounsand miles before the guy spun two barrings :3d_frown: so all that should be ok and the radiator is band new too bad cuz i'll be swaping it for an alumanum one eventually. so if anyone in the seattle tacoma area wants the thing when im done with it let me know.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
little stuff are the monsters cause they frigin add up quick don't underestimate them. in this business little things and ATTENTION to DETAIL count in everything it can make you or break you.

breathing mods and the free stuff like weight reduction, weight transfer, mess with your cooling system a little you'll be surprised what you can get by just messing with these "little things"

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Boss302 said:
little stuff are the monsters cause they frigin add up quick don't underestimate them. in this business little things and ATTENTION to DETAIL count in everything it can make you or break you.

breathing mods and the free stuff like weight reduction, weight transfer, mess with your cooling system a little you'll be surprised what you can get by just messing with these "little things"

no no no trust me i know this more then most(i drive formula cars) but what i was saying is i dont think I'll have to replace meny of them cuz they where replaced so long ago.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
In this order:

Brakes
Suspension
Motor upgrades

If it can't stop and it can't turn it's got no business going fast.

Trust me on this...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supracentral said:
In this order:

Brakes
Suspension
Motor upgrades

Trust me on this...
I would agree with you...if he had a Fox body Mustang.

Good thoughts though. 400 hp doesn't mean shit if you can't stop.

I think the first thing to do is the down pipe with a catback made for a turbo. Do them together.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supracentral said:
In this order:

Brakes
Suspension
Motor upgrades

Trust me on this...

Yep...learned this one the hard way many years ago. ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
first mod:

full maintenance on ANYTHING that's not in 100% perfect shape on the motor, drivetrain, suspension, etc...

got a clunk? fix it. oil leak? fix it. hard starting? fix it.

when you modify a car that has problems, they only get worse.

-shaeff