Performance Upgrade Question

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
If you're running up to 25lbs of boost, you'll want a compression of about 8.25:1, if you're running 12lbs, you'll want a higher compression or your car will be a dog on the lower RPM range. Going from 12lbs to 25lbs is a very large difference. I'm not saying it can't be done, but engines have to be built for 25lbs.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You MUST set a goal, and look at what other people have done to get to that goal.

You will also need a budget.

Before you go off and buy anything, do a lot of research to understand what you're doing.

This isn't a flame, but you need to understand what needs to be done or you will waste money on things you don't need, or not buy what you do need and not reach your goal. Worse yet you may destroy all of your hard work...

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
cadman;1083686 said:
If you're running up to 25lbs of boost, you'll want a compression of about 8.25:1, if you're running 12lbs, you'll want a higher compression or your car will be a dog on the lower RPM range. Going from 12lbs to 25lbs is a very large difference. I'm not saying it can't be done, but engines have to be built for 25lbs.

Alright well then, Im getting an NA most likely this weekend or next weekend. So Ill just use that as my daily driver and then build the turbo for around 20-25 pounds of boost. Thats gona be my weekend car anyways, Im not gona be driving it constantly

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
Poodles;1083688 said:
You MUST set a goal, and look at what other people have done to get to that goal.

You will also need a budget.

Before you go off and buy anything, do a lot of research to understand what you're doing.

This isn't a flame, but you need to understand what needs to be done or you will waste money on things you don't need, or not buy what you do need and not reach your goal. Worse yet you may destroy all of your hard work...

And maybe this will help ya out. Here's what I did! I asked myself these questions; What will I be using this car for? Every day driver or weekend warrior? Maybe a track car? I wanted my car to be an everyday driver if needed. Ok that means reliability. How fast do I think I want to go? Um, I wanted to hit low 13s, maybe high 12s in the 1/4. Ok, I'll need a bit over 400HP. Alright, I started with a good base, a strong inline turbo 6. What do other people do to get their cars to this point, and what do they think of their finished project.

Now figure out what you can afford. Do it right the first time. I've never heard someone say "Man I'm so glad I settled for stock pistons and rings, and then over-boosted."

Figure out what you want man. And during this whole project, you'll learn a ton.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
cadman;1083705 said:
And maybe this will help ya out. Here's what I did! I asked myself these questions; What will I be using this car for? Every day driver or weekend warrior? Maybe a track car? I wanted my car to be an everyday driver if needed. Ok that means reliability. How fast do I think I want to go? Um, I wanted to hit low 13s, maybe high 12s in the 1/4. Ok, I'll need a bit over 400HP. Alright, I started with a good base, a strong inline turbo 6. What do other people do to get their cars to this point, and what do they think of their finished project.

Now figure out what you can afford. Do it right the first time. I've never heard someone say "Man I'm so glad I settled for stock pistons and rings, and then over-boosted."

Figure out what you want man. And during this whole project, you'll learn a ton.

Well ive been looking at a few builds. I know my goal is somewhere between 450-500 horsepower. Here's one build I found form a guy that was selling his 450 horse supra......

1990 Supra
Turbo
5speed
White exterior
mix blue and grey interior
Targa top

Engine is FULLY Rebuilt ENGINE less than 15k miles

Shell
White Exterior
Aftermarket antenna
New VIS carbon fiber hood
NO MAJOR DENTS/Straight Body

Drive Terrain
H&R Springs With tokico blue struts
Power slot and drilled rotors and porterfield rs4 pads
Magnum SS Brake lines
rear diff is filled With royal purple
stage 3 proclutch 6 puck sprung

Gauges
AEM uego wideband
Autometer Oil Press Gauge With SS line instead of nylon
Autometer Boost gauge
Autometer EGT Gauge
Autometer Water Temp Gauge
Custom Mounts

Electronics
hks vpc with both 550 and 440 chip
Apexi SAFC 2 fuel COntroller
Apexi AVC R boost controller
HKS Turbo Timer

MUSIC
Jensen MP5720 Head Unit
Sub/amp wires are there.I will be keeping my amp and sub

Upholstery
Tekniq 500 removeable steering wheel and hub
SOGI short Shifter
Blue Interior with: Grey trim and seats.
relocated battery to the Trunk with taylor box

Engine Specs

Work done at mMchinetech Racing in oceanside California
The block is .080 over with custom 85mm forged pistons
All NEW clevite bearings
New oil pump, water pump
new Timing belt
Cometic 2mm mhg
Mild port and polish on the head
New valves
Rotating assy balanced.

Fuel
New Walbro fuel pump with 12v fuel pump mod
areomotive Fuel Pressure regulator with ss lines
550cc injectors

Turbo
hks sportkit t04e 57 trim Fresh rebuilt by Jon at MDCmotorsports
hks long runner manifold with hks 50mm w/gate
3" Half Downpipe & dumptube. Unfinished DP

wiring
new 90 eng. harness from Champion Toyota less than 5k miles
5-speed turbo ECU

Intake
apexi intake
Front Facing Intake Manifold with 70mm ford tb and tps

Intercooler
Greddy fmic with hardpipes
new tial 50mm bov

ETC
oil filter relocation kit with thermo and cooler socketless hose with an fittings
Custom Cold Air Box
Custom IC block OFF plate
New speedo cable
Aftermarket Catch can
The bad
No ac

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Here's another build i found........

Engine:

Stock Crank/Rods
JE .040 Oversize Pistons w/ JE Rings
Block Decked 1.0mm
HKS 2.0mm Stopper Head Gasket
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Rod Bolts
NA Cams
AEM Adjustable Cam Gear (Intake Cam Only)
Balance Rotating Assembly

Intake/Exhaust/Turbo/Intercooler:
Custom SS304 Header
Precision PT67, P-Trim, .68 A/R
3.5" SS304 Downpipe
3.5" Test Pipe
Tanabe Hyper Medalion Cat-Back Exhaust
MK3 Intercooler Kit by Extreme Turbo Systems
4" Polished Aluminum Intake Pipe w/ K&N Cone Filter
Ported Upper/Lower Intake Runners

Ignition:
NGK BCPR6ES Plugs
NGK 8mm Plug Wires
MSD Stacker 4

Fuel System:
Walbro 255lph In-Tank Pump
Precision 780cc Injectors
AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Custom Fuel Pressure Dampener Bypass
VDO Fuel Pressure Gauges (one on Rail, one on FPR)

Drivetrain:
Stock Toyota R154 5 Speed
Horsepowerfreaks 6 Puck Sprung Bronze Disc
ACT HD Pressure Plate
Redline Lubricants

Suspension:
Tokico Illumina II Adjustable Struts (TEMS)
Suspension Techniques Linear Rate Lowering Springs

Interior/Electronics:
Apex'i AVC-R Boost Controller
Apex'i S-AFC II Fuel Controller
FET Turbo Timer
Autometer CF Boost and Water Temp Gauge
FJO Wideband w/ 2 1/16" Display
HKS VPC

Cooling:
CSF 2 Row Radiator (Two 1" Rows)
Permacool 2950 cfm 16" Fan
B&M Engine Oil Cooler
Painless Wiring Fan Switch (on at 180, off at 170)

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
Just to give you an idea of what I did for over 400HP, and how much it costs, here's my spec sheet from the engine builder. This is what I had done to my 7M-GTE.

Attachments

• 7M-GTE-spec.jpg
    7M-GTE-spec.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 35

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
cadman;1083725 said:
Just to give you an idea of what I did for over 400HP, and how much it costs, here's my spec sheet from the engine builder. This is what I had done to my 7M-GTE.

kinda hard to read. i cant really see what it says.

youre from my home state lol. nice!

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
I'll send you a PDF of it as kind of a guidline if you'd like. PM me your email address or something, and you'll get an easier-to-read copy. It will just kind of show you what I did to get that type of HP out of the 7M-GTE. And it's reliable.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
cadman;1083732 said:
I'll send you a PDF of it as kind of a guidline if you'd like. PM me your email address or something, and you'll get an easier-to-read copy. It will just kind of show you what I did to get that type of HP out of the 7M-GTE. And it's reliable.

pm sent

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
look 12 second 1/4 mile is easy it goes like this
7mgte w/ fresh bottom end
mhg w/ arp
walbro
afpr
fmic and hard pipes
bov of your choice
50 trim ct-26
electronic boost controller of your choice
16 psi
6 puck clutch disk
drag radials
and learn to drive if you can get your 60ft to 1.9 or better you have a 12.9XX Car

if you can't drive don't bother trying to get a supra to run 12s.

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
suprastroker88;1083566 said:
Oh ok. Do you think I would be better just buying a 7mgte motor and transmission package and dropping it in there? I found this one for 1450+ shipping.

http://www.japanmotorimport.com/JDM_engine/Toyota/14/7M-GTE Turbo_87-91

Does that look like all I'd need? And then just throw on a metal headgasket, arp's, and torgue it down to like 72- 80 lbs.

Be carefull before you go and drop 1.5k on a motor and 500 for shiping. Get the motor open and inspected before you go and do that. A lot of those places just do a compression check and call it good. You can't always tell if the HG is blown by a compression check. I know I bought one and when I opened it up to do just what you said above. ARP Studs and a MHG. Pistons #1, 3, and 6 had oil in them and the Block was very corroded around the water passages.
GET THE 7M YOU HAVE LOOKED AT FIRST!

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
89turbotoy;1083861 said:
look 12 second 1/4 mile is easy it goes like this
7mgte w/ fresh bottom end
mhg w/ arp
walbro
afpr
fmic and hard pipes
bov of your choice
50 trim ct-26
electronic boost controller of your choice
16 psi
6 puck clutch disk
drag radials
and learn to drive if you can get your 60ft to 1.9 or better you have a 12.9XX Car

if you can't drive don't bother trying to get a supra to run 12s.

Im goin all street tires

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
hey i know you're new, and youre trying to figure out what you need to do to reach your goals. Here's my suggestion. Learn by experience. Drive the car as is and fix it up little by little as you can. As you have time and money, do small mods in steps by researching as you go. Learn the motor and the car in and out as many of us have by 1. working on it, and 2. spending a lot of time here on the forums reading about what other people are doing/have done. These are old cars and are very finnicky, but they can be pretty damn fast. They're still REALLY fun to own and drive at moderate power levels.

Owning this car and making it something really fast will take alot of time, money, patience, planning, and research. I know your intent is to learn, but 1 thread you made isnt gonna do much at all. Spend some time here and learn as you go. No person on this site has taken a supra from nothing to a reliable and very fast and powerful car in just a couple months with like 3000-5000 bucks. It just wont happen.

We'd all like you to have a great car, but dont rush it.

You know youre a noob, we know youre a noob. Only way to solve it is to learn and denoobify yourself.

Good luck,
-Ryan

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
suprastroker88;1083892 said:
Im goin all street tires

dr are street legal and w/ the same setup i said above minus mhg and fuel system @ 14psi i ran 13.2 @ 106 on 245 50 16 dayton hr street tires, so turn it up to 18psi get some wide tires w/some sidewall and run 12s on street tires

-Zac

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
89turbotoy;1083912 said:
dr are street legal and w/ the same setup i said above minus mhg and fuel system @ 14psi i ran 13.2 @ 106 on 245 50 16 dayton hr street tires, so turn it up to 18psi get some wide tires w/some sidewall and run 12s on street tires

-Zac

im planning on putting on toyo t1r's