PCV system questions

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
ATL88Supra;1820437 said:
i got tired of dealing with mine so i just moved it to my down pipe so its always under vac

i welded up that stupid throttle body boost leak

it may not be the right way but it sure is better that that shitty system it has stock

My apologies to suprafanatic for being a bit hard on him. He's guilty only of ignorance, not outright stupidity.

ncv6coupe

Jul 24, 2011
ATL, GA
First post, long time lurker, but as I am doing my rebuild right now for the past few days I have been learning about the 7m pcv and egr systems and today I'm actually rerouting my lines for the pcv system. I found out over a few threads what JJ means regarding the pcv system. A few guys even threw around ideas of putting electric pumps and catch can systems on the crankcase covers if you wanted to keep the vacuum and not sludge up any of your piping. I did not save any of the links but from my understanding, the 7m system reverses flow AFTER BOOST and relies on the accordian hose "push" rather than the throttle body "pull". If one were to want a catch can, the correct way would be to have 2 catch cans, one for throttle body line, other can off the turbo inlet to rear of intake mani. Best to not worry soo much for the turbo line since how often do you run around in boost other than a few highway pulls or what not, during decel it would be more advantageous to have the vacuum cleaning out the crankcase. The downpipe dump is an easy alternative if you can deal with a smokey car and people watching you like your cars about to blow up when you pull up at the light.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yep, atmospheric pressure does the work. Everything in nature flows from high to low and vacuum doesn't "suck".

While we're on the PCV system it's important to remember that with it connected there's a lot of stuff on the engine that must be leak tight to prevent pirate air. Valve covers, oil pan, crankcase ventilation hose, even the dipstick. Leaks at these places can cause idle leaness/roughness but even if they don't monitoring the average O2 sensor voltage for changes with the system disconnected (TB port capped) is a useful method of determining how leak free those places are.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I want to get a catch can but i do not know the best way to route it.

i see most people route 2 lines to the Valve covers and one to the Intake side of the turbo and block off the throttle body ports. Is this No good ??

I believe i am having pcv issues that i'd like to fix. I know i have some Vac issues and i do run lean at idle. i am sure that part of my leak comes from my dipstick (Needs new O ring)

Oct 4, 2011
PA

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
meth09.jpg

meth10a.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I like my setup works wounders and no boost leak

for fun back when I frist dynoed it and had it running one day I un-caped off my valve covers for fun and it lost power

p1820717_1.jpg

I may up grade my pcv system off the vavle cover tee to catch can to -12 thou

Last edited:

boostedmklll

Apr 14, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
So let me get this straight. Currently I have the two ports off the valve covers run to a oil catch can and the can just has a breather on it. Should I run a hose to the can from the accordian tube? Just want your guys opinion. I get smoke when I lift out of boost.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Poodles;1820688 said:
tmsperformance;1820654 said:
Block off the Throttle body ports. Run the 2 from the valve overs to a catch can. Fill the can with steel wool or baffle it. Thread the catch can with another nipple, run that hose to the accordian hose. Look at this link it might help.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?53609-How-to-Baffle-an-ebay-Catch-Can-Oil-Seperator

Someone didn't read the thread...

No, he didn't...:3d_frown:
He should - might actually learn something about how the 7M-GTE PCV system actually works.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So I need to put a check valve inline with my PCV system? between the throttle body port and the valve covers? I have boost blowing into my PCV system from the intake manifold. But previously in this thread I was told its suppose to have boost going into it.. Im lost now.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprafanatic;1822027 said:
So I need to put a check valve inline with my PCV system? between the throttle body port and the valve covers? I have boost blowing into my PCV system from the intake manifold. But previously in this thread I was told its suppose to have boost going into it.. Im lost now.
The stock 7M system doesn't use a pcv/check valve, once the engine isn't "stock" all bets are off and I found that a valve was needed due to increased volume of blowby gases.