PCV system/ explanation and mod

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
isnms;1318935 said:
So how long can the pump stand up to oil vapor?

Good question, but how much oil vapour will get to the pump once passing through the can?

BTW this thread is great, saving this in my archives :)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Anyone have a link to Ron's set-up?

Yes I will update with pics ;)

Not sure if the pump will have any problems even if it does see oil. The Turbo Buick guys don't seem to be seeing any problems, and they have been doing it for a while.

The pump has a metal impeller, and the housing is meant to stand up to normal under hood conditions including oil. I don't see a problem here...

A little searching outside of this site my be helpful for some ;)

Not sure which # is the part #, but I just did a search on Ebay for "BMW air pump". Pelican Parts has these for around $250-300, I got mine for $45 shipped.

p1319044_1.jpg

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Does this bmw air pump run constant in the bmw? Just wondering what kind of life range this pump will have under constant running!? I'd atleast try to mount it where air can cool it down instead of letting it heat soak as it's going to be pulling air that's about 200 deg if not more.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Not sure if it runs constant or not. But this is why I said I would not do this on a daily driver. It might be ok, but I don't know. A belt driven pump I think would be better for a daily, they obviously run constantly. Or do a set up like stock if you can, as it is the simplest way.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ian: Aftermarket ones do. But what about OEM ones? I had an old car with an OEM air pump on it and never had problems. I have heard the same thing that aftermarket pumps, belt and electric, wear really fast.

Last edited:

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So in this setup...

p1319238_1.jpg

Is there going to be enough air flowing into valve cover to support the flow taken out by the pump? Wouldn't you need a way to get the air in before you can suck it all back out?

BTW: Awesome thread!

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok this is my set up right now, basically the only thing that will change is the pump will go inline between the catch can and the turbo inlet pipe.

I'm thinking about putting the pump in the IC area, or under the intake mani. I think in the IC area would be easiest.

p1319688_1.jpg

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
I did a little research on smog pumps and what they do. Basically they pump air into the exhaust ONLY during warm up, then shut off. This is to aid in helping the extra rich exhaust to continue to burn off the gasses. Once the engine is warmed up they are no longer needed.

So the electric smog/air pumps do not run continuously. So, like I have said, this is not recommended for daily driven cars.

Even though this thread is focusing on this mod, it was not my intent, (if it was I would have posted this under my build). It was more to show how the stock system works, and that with a modded car you still need to take steps to keep the crank case under VAC. And I was hoping to see what others have done.

BTW, I put very low miles on my car, and never drive for extended periods of time. It's one of my toys ;)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Belt driven pumps, once the engine is warm, switch from pumping air into the exhaust to venting to the atmosphere. So an OEM belt pump might be a better choice for a DD.