Pbasil1's Powder coatings!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well i finally got around to playing with all the powder coat stuff i bought a while back, and man! Im impressed!

I do plan on doing this as a side job here and there to make a little more profit for the supra, but for now, im just powder coating my own parts that will be going on the supra. Here is a few shots of the power steering res. i just coated in chrome. Yes, that's right, powder chrome. take a look and let me know what you all think.

p1155904_1.jpg

p1155904_2.jpg

p1155904_3.jpg

p1155904_4.jpg

p1155904_5.jpg

p1155904_6.jpg

More pics to came as i do more coatings.

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Here's a few of a random heat sink i found that i coated with a hyper purple color im going to be using on some small parts... I coated it just to see the color, so dont mind the uneven and fisheyed finish...lol

p1155905_1.jpg

p1155905_2.jpg

Well, i finally got around to coating the aluminum pullys for the 1j, and here they are. I think the purple i have is a bit darker than the particular shade HKS uses, but hey, i think this purple looks damn fine!

There is a few small bubbles in the paint that i think is caused from dirty air from my air compressor. I still need to buy a water separator and hook up an air filter as well.

Here's a few pics for now.

BEFORE:
p1155905_3.jpg

p1155905_4.jpg

p1155905_5.jpg

In the oven before baking:
p1155905_6.jpg

After baking and w/ clear applied:
p1155905_7.jpg

p1155905_8.jpg

p1155905_9.jpg

Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
damn, thats pretty. i almost bought a craftsman gun but have to make room in my shop for an oven

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Those are awesome Pat.............:love:

If this polishing thing doesn't work out, I'll be bringing you all of my engine parts.

To those of you that don't know Pat, I do, and he's a great guy. Don't hesitate to send your stuff to him. I'd trust him with anything I have except for my wife...........:sarcasm:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I think I'll be undergoing another engine swap starting tomorrow. it should take about 6 weeks from what i understand. So, while the car is in the shop i would send some parts for coating with pleasure.

Pbasil1 , check out rainbow section at woofers, i remember you mentioned them ones.

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
is that the single stage chrome or just the regular reflective chrome.if it's regular reflective chrome it will change color unless backed with clear.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
tsuper92;1156071 said:
is that the single stage chrome or just the regular reflective chrome.if it's regular reflective chrome it will change color unless backed with clear.

All chrome powder coats are single stage... and they all will fade over time when exposed to UV light. But how often do i leave the hood of my car open? Putting a clear cot does help protect it,and helps it shine a bit more. I did not clear the PS res, but i plan to clear just about everything else i do...

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
pbasil1;1156278 said:
All chrome powder coats are single stage... and they all will fade over time when exposed to UV light. But how often do i leave the hood of my car open? Putting a clear cot does help protect it,and helps it shine a bit more. I did not clear the PS res, but i plan to clear just about everything else i do...
i use eastwood's powder,so they might be different then what you use.all there silver and reflective chrome has to be top coated with clear.they also make a single stage which cost more and doesn't seem to go on as nice

do you have any idea how that purple match the hks stuff,look's like it is very similar.eastwood has a metalic purple which is a single stage,but look's a little to dark.they also have a translucent violet which lighten's up when done over reflective chrome.i was going to try that one first.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
empera;1156865 said:
damn i really need an extra oven or something hehe

do it.i can coat a part and have it back on the car faster then your first coat of paint would take to dry;)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
do they have smaller electrical ovens that could work? dun have gas in the garage nor enough space for a big one

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
empera;1156880 said:
do they have smaller electrical ovens that could work? dun have gas in the garage nor enough space for a big one

You need an electric oven anyways... Gas ovens can burst in flames from the fumes from the part when baking.

tsuper92;1156863 said:
do you have any idea how that purple match the hks stuff,look's like it is very similar.eastwood has a metalic purple which is a single stage,but look's a little to dark.they also have a translucent violet which lighten's up when done over reflective chrome.i was going to try that one first.
Its very close. Thats what i bought the color for, and i have to do some playing around with it to find the right formula to match the HKS purple as best as possible. I will be posting more pics as i coat more stuff.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
pbasil1;1156928 said:
You need an electric oven anyways... Gas ovens can burst in flames from the fumes from the part when baking.

Its very close. Thats what i bought the color for, and i have to do some playing around with it to find the right formula to match the HKS purple as best as possible. I will be posting more pics as i coat more stuff.

ah...makes sense

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Pat, how dureable is powdercoating? Does it flake off easily if bumped with a wrench or is it pretty tough?
The purple looks great......only, it's purple.....:icon_bigg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
suprahero;1161292 said:
Pat, how dureable is powdercoating? Does it flake off easily if bumped with a wrench or is it pretty tough?
The purple looks great......only, it's purple.....:icon_bigg

powdercoating should be pretty damn hard to scratch, i've heard. all the stuff ive had that's powdercoated doesn't get bothered if i throw it around.

and i dont know what you're talking about, that hyper purple is bangin.