passenger window issue.

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
ok, 89 non-turbo 5spd. My passenger window goes down but does not go up. The switch/motor/regulator are all fine. The problem is lack of power. I see two cables running into the regulator/motor. Red and Green I think. My plan is to re-route a power wire from the battery directly to one of these wires in the mean time. So which one is which? Is one just ground and the other's positive and the positive just isn't getting enough electricity? Pls pls pls give me any info asap, window down and won't go up

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
in my 92 i have the same issue just play with the switch for awhile and try holding the switch and then opening the passenger door. it takes a while but eventually it will go back up just don't stop mid roll up or you have to start again

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Neither side is power, neither side is ground. Both sides are both power and ground.

Power gets applied to one wire to roll the window down, power gets applied to the other wire to roll the window up, similarily for ground. If the window rolls down but not up, it is a switch issue.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Try blowing out your switches with some air of the can!!! Mine did the same thing then I tried it and they worked again. I think just dust ect gets in when targa is off and the switches cant make a good connection. Thats my 2 cents!!!!!

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
figured out the problem, turns out it was an open circuit for the wire going into pin number three of the switch, which should be ground for the thing to operate correctly based on the continuity diagram in the tsrm. problem solved by cutting the wire going into the switch for pin three and re-routing it to the ground on the battery :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
temporary fix till i find out where the break in the circuit is.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I am having a terrible time with the passenger window also...I have tried 3 "cleaned" passenger switches, 3 "cleaned" drivers switches, all with the same result, the window goes down but not up. To get it up, I have to use a battery on two of the terminals. There is no noise what so ever from the motor when I attempt to put the window up, but going down, if it is all the way down, I hear the motor cycle....is there a relay or something that I am missing?

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I clicked the lock out switch several times and got the window to go down with the passenger switch, the drivers still did not work. I tried to put it back up with the passenger or drivers, and nothing, the passenger will still put it down though. Seems like a switch thing, but, I have three drivers and three passenger switches, all have been cleaned, and still it does not work. Is there a relay or other places inside the door that I should check?

Oper8or

Apr 21, 2005
Greenback, TN.
Mine did the same thing when I got my supra. I took the switches apart. Inside the switches are copper contacts. They get bent over time. You can easily take them out of the switch (after removing the switch from the door panel) and bent to make contact again. Worked for me. Nothing fancy. Just a little work.

swiber

Jun 4, 2006
Herkimer, NY
My window would not go up and i checked out and it was a bad ground the fix was on i-supra.com.if i recall the #3 wire )99.5% sure it is the #3wire) on the pass side wire going to the switch did the trick. All i did was splice into it and ran it to a good grounding point in the car and bingo she when up. And as evreyone says clean the contacts first.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Yeah what i had to do right when i got home is take the white connector out of the switch and clean the corrosion off of the metal copper contacts.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
the real question is how do you fix the passenger side switch on the master switch on the driver side. That only works going down.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
My pass switch on the driver side dosen't work at all. Thankfully the car isn't very wide and I can reach the pass side pretty easy.