Passenger inner tie rod =X

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Can't believe I'm making a post about a tie rod, but it's better to ask than keep quiet.

The inner tie rod on the passenger side seems to be attached to a brace for the rack or something. When I try to unscrew the tie rod, the brace unscrews with it, and there isn't enough clearance to get it out.

Looking at it from the front, with the tie rod on the left, there's the tie rod, brace, larger copper piece with squared edges, and a smaller cast iron colored piece with squared edges, then the circular washer type thing which gets folded over.

I can't seem to find tie rods in the TSRM (which is weird, I'm overlooking it, I know it...) and am searching now. Anyone wanna share how they got it off :)

edit: Are the driver and passenger side inner tie rods the same? The Deeza part I got looks extremely similar to the driver side tie rod I replaced.

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
I got a set of inner and outer tie rods on ebay for cheap, Im not quite sure what youre running into, but with the use of an inner tie rod tool i got the job done in maybe 20-30 minutes.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I'm running into the stabilizer bar brace which is on/over the passenger inner tie rod.

Is this brace threaded onto the tie rod, so I just have to thread it off with more force? Or is there some trick I obviously don't know about to get the whole thing off?

Not a big fan of ebay parts, but I'll check them out and see if I can find anything comparable to store parts.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
lol, i was having the same problem you are a while back ago while trying to install my steering spacers. unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the rack in place, unbolt the outter tie rods, pry the passenger side of the rack far enough front for you to be able to take off the inner tie rod.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
MA70witBoost;1310057 said:
lol, i was having the same problem you are a while back ago while trying to install my steering spacers. unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the rack in place, unbolt the outter tie rods, pry the passenger side of the rack far enough front for you to be able to take off the inner tie rod.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to move it but I guess I do :nono:

This coming weekend is the next time I'll have access to tools and such...and in retrospect I think the outer tie rod is the one that is worn, not the inner, so hopefully I can just leave it alone for a while.

Once the outer is replaced, if there is still wiggling I'll do the inner.

87: I don't think any inner tie rod tool will fit over the stabilizer bar brace to grip onto the flats. But that's me thinking :biglaugh:

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
lift up the front end of the car... shake each wheel on the car front to back (towards front and rear bumpers), if you feel play, have someone shake the wheel and reach under the car and grab the inner and outter tie rod individualy.... you'll feel from where the play is comming. replace the part accordingly.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
lift up the front end of the car... shake each wheel on the car front to back (towards front and rear bumpers), if you feel play, have someone shake the wheel and reach under the car and grab the inner and outter tie rod individualy.... you'll feel from where the play is comming. replace the part accordingly.