parts

rudegirl

''Blue Magic''
Jan 17, 2007
north carolina
:1zhelp: hi everyone hope im posting this right .but i need help im finally getting my 87 supra tuned up .so can someone suggest the right parts but at a resonable price i need 2 know the brands for these items.brake pads,sparkplugs and wires,and oil.thanks:aigo:

Justin727

T-virus infected
ngk plugs, ngk wires, replace vacuum hoses. hit up titan motorsports or a local parts stores for these parts. other than that dont get another brand unless its Nippon Denso "denso"

I just read your profile as well. You might want to get a factory toyota cap and rotor.
call mike @ champion toyota out of houston they offer the best factory toyota parts pricing.
1-800-327-2087

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I would go with a toyota cap and rotor, NGK plug wires are a bit overkill. For most setups the stock wires are more than sufficient, so if you want to save some money do it here. Good call on NGK plugs justin. As for Oil get a good full synthetic oil, I prefer redline it has the best adpack I have seen. It is a bit on the expensive side for many though, my second choice would be Amsoil as it also has an impressive adpack. Royal purple and castrol are also very popular though. Cant give much advice on brake pads, Im still running what I assume are toyota pads from the prev owner, Hope this helps

Justin727

T-virus infected
ngk wires are cheaper than stock yota wires.

80-110 for Toyota wires compared to 55-75 Ngk wires.

but for the next best thing to redline I do use Amsoil as well in my Tundra and change the filter every 6 months or 25k miles. add a qrt and thats it. still clean!

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
Can't say how the Supra NGK wires are but on my Land Cruiser the NGK wires were poor quality. The rubber boot was not attached to the spark plug stem (the land cruiser plugs are deep below the valve cover).
The rubber would pull apart and you would have to pull the wire to get the wire off the plug.
The Toyota/OEM wires come ready to install. THey are already installed on the holders/posts and they are well numbered so all you do is lay out the bundle of wires and plug them in. No wondering where to place each wire on the posts/holders.
In my experience, Toyota parts install and fit better than aftermarket parts.
I just put Napa pads (was in a hurry) on the Camry and couldn't install the tension springs as the pads were a little to thick.
You can get Toyota parts at a good discount at some online/800 dealers. Check your local dealer as they might give you a discount but you have to ask first.

I use this site to check prices.
http://www.toyotaworld.com/ or
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213747

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Oil: http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/ ( I use Castrol 10w-30)
Spark plugs: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471693&postcount=19 In my n/a, I use Bosch plat. +4. In a turbo, I see most people run the NGK coppers with a small gap(.029?)
Wires: Couldn't find a link for those :) Personally, I prefer MSD. Yeah, they cost more than the NGK, but they last a life time. I know I never have to worry about the wire breaking down, or not being able to handle whatever I throw at it.

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
New toyota wires are expensive but you can get a perfectly good used set for dirt cheap. Just check the classified section. I have NGK wires, (didnt notice much of a difference, or feel they are needed) and havent had any problems with them so far, but I will keep the boot thing in mind from now on. Iv been happy with my brakes so far. I wouldnt recomend going 25k between oil changes let alone filter changes. I know redline and amsoil state it will last that long on their site, but it doesnt sit well with me. Many guys on here change their filters every 4k, and replace the amount of oil in the filter. Then change their oil every 8k. I go 3K and 6K but thats just me. I would also recoment a pureone or Wix (napa gold is the same) while on the subject.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's an N/A so...

cap, rotor, and plugs would probably work fine... Just clean the wires well.

Oil. Well, Redline is the best, but expensive as hell. I'd get either german castrol (0W-30) or penzoil platinum (5w-30). Both are great oils and won't break down very easily from heat like cheap conventional oils(as I've found out first hand).

Brake pads. I believe the dealer was really reasonable on them, and they will work better than the cheapest pads you can get at an auto parts store.

If you have issues, most of us on the forums have been through it all at least once, don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't fin the info readily with the search.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
lol, I missed the brake pads. I really like the PFB(Performance Friction Brakes) that either Napa or O'Rielly's carries. I'm using VGX Silent Silver (pfm336 front, pfm337 rear), semi-metallic, and they work really well. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...62/p-2008462/N-111+20004541+600015862/c-10101 Quiet, and no dust. No problems with fade, but I have a 5speed, and tend to downshift a lot. Got them from another mechanic who stocks brakes, so I don't know which store sells them.

Justin727

T-virus infected
our shop 95 t-100 truck has been doing the same for years with 350,000 on the clock so it works for me. Also the other shop truck a tundra v8 with over 250k missed its timing belt job and popped the engine. They rebuild built it and the insides look brand spanking new.

but i see you arent looking to spend much money so run castrol in your car. do the tune up and be looking to do a timing belt job also.