parts lists

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
hey guys i need some help :1zhelp: again. i want to make sure that i have everything i need for my 1jz swap into my NA 89 supra. here is the list so far: 1jz complete block head, uncut harness ecu, new radiator, all new engine seals, intercooler and piping, timing belt, crossmember and arp head studs. please let me know if i am missing anything. thanks guys

bmk3

MK3 owner goin 1JZ ftw
Feb 14, 2009
Garland,TX
do u have ur motor mounts/brackets for ur 1jz, u need a 1jz bell housing R154 trans if u dont have one and i think thats all ur missin i not to sure on what all u have or planning on doin, ohter guys chaim in cuz i know im missing something. are u just doin a stock 1j swap with no mods?

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
Ok I have the moter mounts off the 7m. I'll get the bell housing and ya I'm just gonna drop in the 1jzgte stock for now as for future mods prob hks twins or going single. eventually I'm going to get a 2jz bottom end. future mods to be determinded

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
You'll need to get some motor mounts from Randy (BecauseIcan), the 7m Mounts will not work.

Also, your power steering hose will not work, I think the MK4 hose has to be used. I just had my hose rebuilt with the extra length needed. You will need to get a flywheel as well if you didn't get one already.

Seriously, research is your friend. there is a lot of info here on basic swaps, so check it out. You could spend twice as much money as you had anticipated if you're not careful, even moreso if you went with some mods right off the bat.

Check out driftmotion.com. Aaron is an awesome guy and great to deal with. His site has a 1j/2j section. Browse thru it and it will give you some ideas.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
His car is an 89, as long as he has the round style motor mounts he can use stock jza70 brackets or randy's brackets. The same mounts will work, not the brackets though.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Guyana00;1404617 said:
His car is an 89, as long as he has the round style motor mounts he can use stock jza70 brackets or randy's brackets. The same mounts will work, not the brackets though.

I thought that you had to use BIC mounts for all years.... I guess I was wrong, sorry for the mis-information

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Ill be the guy to say this then.
If you are going single in the near future (1 year or so), GO SINGLE NOW.
Doing a single swap when the engine is in the car will make you hate it, and the people that designed it.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
SupraMario;1404621 said:
This. Using them will save you a big fuckin headache.

His car is an 89, he won't need to change the crossmember check to see if your mounts are round and you'd have the cirrect x-member on there already.

You can then either use stock jza70 mount brackets (ones that came on jz supras, not same as 1jz chaser/soarer ones) or if you can't find a set you can buy BIC's. That is the intention of his brackets.

I highly recommend BIC especially as he is Canadian, but likely you can get the brackets cheaper. You will use the same mounts you have already.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Guyana00;1404693 said:
His car is an 89, he won't need to change the crossmember check to see if your mounts are round and you'd have the cirrect x-member on there already.

You can then either use stock jza70 mount brackets (ones that came on jz supras, not same as 1jz chaser/soarer ones) or if you can't find a set you can buy BIC's. That is the intention of his brackets.

I highly recommend BIC especially as he is Canadian, but likely you can get the brackets cheaper. You will use the same mounts you have already.

89 is an odd year, where it seams that they used everything left over from 88s in some, and the rest is 90+ stuff. The wiring will be a combination of both. I had to use BIC mounts in my 89.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
is the wiring hard to do on the 1jz swap into the 89 ????? ok no crossmeber just the mounts i already had those on my list from they arron at drift motion i have a decent size list i am hopin he will fill it ? i have to add the bell housing. im not gonna go single for at least 2 or 3 years i have another kid on the way and i already have one kid as is so my build is very budget limited this wont be my dd we have 2 other car the fusion and an aveo that she drives y idk ask her lol? my hp goals are 400 to 500 eventually

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
foreverpsycotic;1404929 said:
89 is an odd year, where it seams that they used everything left over from 88s in some, and the rest is 90+ stuff. The wiring will be a combination of both. I had to use BIC mounts in my 89.

You had the square mounts?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Here is a thing I found with most of the part I wrote down I needed for the swap:

- Lengthened harness OR Routed stock way with lengthened body plugs.
- Power steering. Can use mk4TT hose with longer banjo bolts from DM OR DM PS SS Hose.
- 1JZ brackets/mounts. Stock/Private/BIC/Other
- Throttle cable. Can use MK4 one as well or 92-96 camry any engine JY special.
- 2JZ-GE/GTE clutch fan can (Can use with 7mgte shroud and rad)
- Turbo tach (or you can modify the N/A one, I prefer putting in a turbo tach)
- Boost gauge (you might have the stock one, not necessary but come on, turbo car without one?)
- R154 (unless you have it) and JZ bellhousing, Or W58 and JZ bellhousing, or auto with JZ bell.
- Ignitor
- MAP sensor 1J and 2J the same, easier and cheap to get used, same with ignitor. 4AGZE MAY be the same, need to check it out.
- IC. Stock, AM, whatever you want, piping of course.
- DP - Stock, AM, again, whichever route you choose to go.
- Catback depending on what you plan to do or what you have.
- 2JZ-GTE waterpump (pump and backhousing) or 1J mech WP OR complete hydro fan setup.
- Heater core hose needs to be 'modified'
- 94TT PCV and hose for rev 1....or rev 2. Replace it.
12204-46020 - that's the PCV
12261-46031 - that's for the hose
- ECU
- Clutch disc or Clutch kit unless you have it already
- R154 Driveshaft unless you have it already
- R154 x-member. Depends what you have.
- Do steering rack bushings when engine is out. GO poly keep a tight feel for longest time, aka forever..lol. That is my opinion
- Mechanical WP pulley if you're going that route or you don't get it with your pump.
- Full fluid flush on everything. Oil, PS, clutch fluid, brake fluid, diff fluid, coolant etc.
- If you're doing your fuel pump as well, replace the fuel filter.
- General tune-up
- GENERAL MAINTENANCE: Tire pressure, Lug nuts secure, Rotate tires, windshield wiper blades, check all bulbs and lights, all warning lights and buzzers work (especially hazards and blinkers), check rearview mirror is mounted secure from usage, check seat belt belts for wear or damage (cuts etc.), retighten seat belt bolts.
- Check clutch pedal freeplay with clutch is installed.
- Charge the A/C
- eBay or DM silicone hoses if you don't have the stock ones.
- Install some sort of intake as you may not have the JZA70 stock airbox.

Obviously, some of those are tips or things off the top of my head. There may be things missing as well here and there, feel free to add to it. Also, some of what I listed isn't ESSENTIAL. i.e. steering rack bushings.

karlmk3;1404946 said:
is the wiring hard to do on the 1jz swap into the 89 ????? ok no crossmeber just the mounts i already had those on my list from they arron at drift motion i have a decent size list i am hopin he will fill it ? i have to add the bell housing. im not gonna go single for at least 2 or 3 years i have another kid on the way and i already have one kid as is so my build is very budget limited this wont be my dd we have 2 other car the fusion and an aveo that she drives y idk ask her lol? my hp goals are 400 to 500 eventually

I assume your motor mounts are round?

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
wow thats kinda more then what was thought of lol but thanks for all the help. gonna do the front clip of a car instead of parting it out i think :icon_conf.