Part out question?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Post up some pics of the body. Seems like you could sell it for more, not even a part out. Hows the interior?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
In norcal, with a supra as you described, you'll probably get the most money for your time by doing that 1-time smog deal... You would be hard-pressed to make $1000 profit by parting a NA supra out -- and that is before you consider how much your time is worth to you. And ones in your condition go for ~$500 complete all the time in the cheaper classified papers...

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
they can actually give you money to fix it, if your car is a gross polluter they will give you 1000 for it and there is also another way , but i know if you tell them you have no money they will actually pay to fix your car so it can pass smog here in cali. i will ask my buddy hes a smog tech in how to go by and doing that .

Nov 29, 2006
Vacaville, CA
I talked to the people at a few smog places and they'll give me 500 for repairs and ill have to cut the rest out of pocket.

BTW the car is not N/a i just have a w58.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Sorry I misread you post.

Since it is turbo, it changes my thoughts... You can sell the exhaust manifold, turbo, turbo elbow, and intercooler pretty easily (either to a mk3 or mk2). The coilpack, ignitor, CPS and knock sensors are also pretty easy to sell (and easy to remove). You can probably also sell the ECU and wiring harness to a mk2'er doing a 7m swap.

Most of these parts you couldn't sell if it were NA -- that are in addition to all the body/interior panels

This also makes the car more valuable complete -- you might see it go for $1000-$1500 in the local classified as a "runs but won't smog"

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
I dont understand where most of you people get your ideas from. Just because the car will not pass smog why does that mean you need to scrap it? If the car is in good shape then why dont you make an effort to sell it off as it is to someone who can actualy invest time and money into it to make it better instead of giving it to the state so they can send it off to a compactor? I dont get how you can claim to love, or even just like a car, and yet be so quick to ditch it. Its bad enough idiots are crashing their supras left and right, but then the people who arent crashing them are selling then to scrap metal yards because they are too cheap to fix them. It's disgraceful. even if you dont want to sell it to someone whole, you should at LEAST sell parts thats other could use rather than just crushing the fuckin thing. What a waste.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Bathory said:
If the car is in good shape

He said the body was a 4/10, with 170,000 miles on the engine and over 200,000 miles on the chassis... That's far from good, and there are well-kept mk3s in the area that can be had for under $4000 -- far less than you'd spend fixing up a basket case...

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
Milage is irrelevant, I dont see what it has to do with the overall condition of the car. Sure, he says its a 4/10, but that is one persons opinion, I have yet to see any pictures of the car, I doubt it is as bad as he makes it sounds. Im not just talking about htis particular case either, it seems people go out of there way to completely dismantel their supras when they get bored with them, all because they can get a few more dollars than if they sold the thing in one piece. HOWEVER, even parting it out is a more worthy cause than selling it to the state so they can toss it in a compactor, that is just despicable. At least parting it out would yeild some valuable parts that others in the supra community could put to good use.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Bathory said:
Milage is irrelevant, I dont see what it has to do with the overall condition of the car. Sure, he says its a 4/10, but that is one persons opinion, I have yet to see any pictures of the car, I doubt it is as bad as he makes it sounds. Im not just talking about htis particular case either, it seems people go out of there way to completely dismantel their supras when they get bored with them, all because they can get a few more dollars than if they sold the thing in one piece. HOWEVER, even parting it out is a more worthy cause than selling it to the state so they can toss it in a compactor, that is just despicable. At least parting it out would yeild some valuable parts that others in the supra community could put to good use.

If he wants to crush the care, who cares? It's not like a '90 Supra is rare or anything. And if the condition isn't that great, then it's not a major loss. There's tons of Supras around I think should be crushed.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
"And if the condition isn't that great, then it's not a major loss. There's tons of Supras around I think should be crushed."

Well it sure is a good thing everyone doesnt have that same attitude about it, otherwise there would be very few old cars left on the road. You have to start somewhere when you buy an old car. If there isnt anything severly wrong with it (such as major accident damage) than what is wrong with investing a little time into it to bring it back to life? I dont know what it is with people having the idea that they need to buy somehting in top condition otherwise it isnt worth owning, and if it falls below their expectations then fuck it, just get rid of it and buy another one. Keep that up and they soon will be very rare. Not all Supras that are still around can be in perfect condition, just because they are not, doesnt mean they are worthless junk.