painted intercooler

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
wont the paint block up the fins and hamper cooling ? i would assume so any other views on this ? mine is pretty dull and faded, i was contemplating spraying it, rather just clean with a pressure hose isnt

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Not to any significant or noticeable extent. If you want to be particular, you could soda blast the paint off of it. With ~50psi of air compressor and a blowgun attachment, you can DIY your own soda blaster for next to nothing.

Works great for prepping parts to be (re)painted.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
The only way I see you painting your IC and it becoming a problem, is if you paint it with house paint and LAYER it on. Then tea, it could possibly cause some issues. But I doubt you did that. So yes, you could paint the ic and be perfectly fine,

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can paint it all you want.

The cold air passing by takes the heat that's in the ic.

Paint does not keep the heat in.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
icpipes20.jpg

icpipes22.jpg

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Bleakvoid;1749601 said:
Not to any significant or noticeable extent. If you want to be particular, you could soda blast the paint off of it. With ~50psi of air compressor and a blowgun attachment, you can DIY your own soda blaster for next to nothing.

Works great for prepping parts to be (re)painted.

I bought one from harbor freight for $10 on sale this week. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

^^^^^ that looks good IJ did you paint that? and if so what kind of paint?

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
I remember reading somewhere about the SR 71 black bird was painted black because it flies alot cooler than unpainted airframe. Then again this has nothing to do with intercoolers, but just something I thought to chime in.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
FWIW, though the paint will add a slight insulative layer, it makes up for it by the fact that black actually radiates heat better. If you could anodize it, that would be just plain better, but a reasonable coat of black paint won't hurt anything.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
mk3_7m;1749934 said:
I remember reading somewhere about the SR 71 black bird was painted black because it flies alot cooler than unpainted airframe. Then again this has nothing to do with intercoolers, but just something I thought to chime in.

Well, that paint was a heat protection material, as well as radar-absorbing. Didn't really have anything to do with the color.
Regardless- still the coolest plane ever made, thermally and philosophically speaking.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Dan_Gyoba;1750225 said:
FWIW, though the paint will add a slight insulative layer, it makes up for it by the fact that black actually radiates heat better. If you could anodize it, that would be just plain better, but a reasonable coat of black paint won't hurt anything.

This is what I was getting at. Anodizing an intercooler would get pricey, I'm sure. But it would definitely look fantastic.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bleakvoid;1751249 said:
This is what I was getting at. Anodizing an intercooler would get pricey, I'm sure. But it would definitely look fantastic.

They actually look like crap as you end up with 3 different shades, tanks = 1, welds another and fins yet another shade.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The heat would be transferred from the ic to the paint and then to the air.

Painted mine and mine gets cold in 80* weather.