Paint Question Re: Oxidation

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
About a year ago, I removed the stock underhood pressed-fabric heat shield material--it was looking pretty ragged on a few edges and the clips were rusty, so I figured why not...

About 3 months ago, I started to notice severe oxidizing on the hood, and about a month later on the targa top. On the hood the oxidized areas are on either side of the cowled section closest to the windshield, where water will sometimes collect. This is unsettling to me, because up until just 3 months ago, the paint had been nearly perfect with no signs of fading on any of the metal panels. Now it looks in bad shape, and I'm afraid I've accelerated its aging by removing the heat shield.

I promptly washed and waxed (with a caranuba wax) the hood and the targa top, and saw no significant change. *tear*

Is there any hope to recover these painted areas? Any miracle waxes I can try? The paint in the damaged areas does not appear to have faded, only that the clearcoat has oxidized. My roommate keeps asking me if he can use his polishing compound and wheel on the spots, that it'll take it right out. I'd rather not cut through the clearcoat if possible, if there's any hope to reapply a clear topcoat in the future that would be ideal for me.

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance--I know this isn't a big issue, but I really don't want to have to repaint the whole car just yet, and I don't want to do any more damage than I've already done.

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
It seems scary... but if you get a fine grade sand paper like a 2K and sand off the top layer with oxidation, or better yet get a buffer and buff it off!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
If the targa is doing it also, it's not the hood liner's fault.
Just it's time to go. Take them both to a body shop and have them re-clearcoated.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
87soup--I get nervous at that idea, bigtime. Although it may work, I think I'd rather leave that type of work to a professional.

supra90turbo--that was my thought, since both went @ about the same time, it was just its time. At least my paint's rather consistent...heh.

Was hoping that maybe someone would provide clear evidence that the hood liner was either a) inconsequential or b) essential to the paint's protection, but I don't really see that happening now that I think about it. I do however think I'll invest in a turbo blanket and some downpipe wrap to try and get some heat protection back--in the rain my hood will steam like crazy, and after a hard run on the highway the hood (especially near the back) is almost untouchable--but then again, in direct sun, it feels about the same, so...meh.

Thanks for the input guys, if I get brave I may try some wet sanding, otherwise I'll just start saving for some paint...or maybe a carbon kevlar hood? Hmm...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Inconsequential as far as my experiences are concerned.
I removed mine and drove like that for a year or more. My hood's paint was and still is fine.
A turbo blankie and DP wrap will definitely help.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
ok, listen here... i've done this many a time on several cars... first get that insulation back... make sumthin, i don't care, then go get some shop rags (heavy duty papertowels, pretty much) and a light polishing compound (liquid stuff, can find it at a paint shop, along w/ the rags), and go at it till it shines :D... i did this on my wing, side view mirrors, door handles, complete hatch and rear bumper... lemme see if i can find pics :D