paint job

onefstsupra89

Sep 12, 2006
Winston Salem , NC
1st of all im NOT doing it but someone here at work wants to see some pics on the home paint the one that people are painting their cars with rollers... anyone know? either post pics and the link!!!

thank you

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
You know what? If I get the permission, I'm really going to go through writing my own thread of how I'm getting things done in my car, and I am definately going to give this a try. Since I haven't moved yet, I think I'm going to give the panels I CAN take out without any complications first, like the fenders and bumpers (I live in an apartment, I can't exactly go paint a car in the parking lot).

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i dont like painting in more than one run, mine always seems to lead to mismatched colors or textures.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Still worth a try though. In fact, if at some point in the thread they say something about it not making a mess (or much of a mess) on the floor, I just MIGHT consider doing it in the parking lot............ now THAT would be something, at least here in PR.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Once I tell my best friend, I'm sure he'll even be willing to sit down next to me and film it! Can't wait until later this afternoon when he gets out of college and I tell him. He's probably gonna think im BS'ing him.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I have the car to do this to but I need to do many hours of body work first.

My project Mk2 was bought for $200 with a running engine and a mint interior. All it needs is body work to fix some rust and then paint. When I get time over the next two years (University is monopolizing me), I will be giving this a try. Im going to test it over Christmas break on a spare hood I have. I think if you spend the time prepping the car right and wet sanding till its perfect, a decent paint job is possible.

Good luck to anyone who tries this and dont forget to post pics.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Still reading, going to REALLY sit down and throughouglhy (sp?) read as much as i can in about an hour. for now im just reading bit by bit while talking on MSN.

BTW, if ANYONE knows exactly how "messy" this stuff gets, please tell me. If it's actually just a small mess, which I can cover easily with cardboard boxes on the floor, then I just MIGHT (MIGHT, cuz I gotta check if I'd be breaking any laws doing it in the building) paint the whole car in the parking lot (after getting the technique perfected of course, which I'll practice in the balcony).

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Inygknok said:
Still reading, going to REALLY sit down and throughouglhy (sp?) read as much as i can in about an hour. for now im just reading bit by bit while talking on MSN.

BTW, if ANYONE knows exactly how "messy" this stuff gets, please tell me. If it's actually just a small mess, which I can cover easily with cardboard boxes on the floor, then I just MIGHT (MIGHT, cuz I gotta check if I'd be breaking any laws doing it in the building) paint the whole car in the parking lot (after getting the technique perfected of course, which I'll practice in the balcony).

I don't think I would try this in a parking lot. To get the best results you would want to take off the hood and hatch and basically strip the car. This is like any other paint job except the application process is different. Also, there is alot of contaminants in the air being blown around just waiting to destroy all your hard work. If you try this in a parking lot it won't turn out well and your probably better off the way you are now.

With respect to the HVLP gun comment...everyone knows that would be the ideal process but that is not what this is about. Some people want to do this cheap and the cleanest (for the surroundings) way possible. My father has the correct gun to spray the paint but I'm not going to do it because I dont want to destroy the new garage...and outside is just dumb.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I've seen that before but it still has some problems for the inexperienced people. You then have to deal with flash times and other difficult aspects of painting. I know that rolling is not even close to ideal and will not yield the greatest results. However, with this approach to painting, I can wet sand it and apply more coats many times until I get the results I want. With proper materials, sanding and polishing it can come out quite decent. Also, I don't have to do all of this within a time frame. I can leave it in the shop between steps for days on end. This is crucial for me because I get very little time away from school.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i too plan on trying this sometime within the next few months, let me know how yours turns out if you go through with it.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I'll finish reading that thread first. I think I left off on page 11. As soon as I read all of it, I'll start looking for the materials (yes I am still awake at 4am. Trying to stay up for 24 hours, 2 more hours to go and met a nice girl and I'm still chatting with her).

onefstsupra89

Sep 12, 2006
Winston Salem , NC
Well guys i went to walmart and priced the materials and paint, i did see some nice colors and the total came to $49.35 thats not bad.... i defenatly going to try it i will paint mine the same color....maybe a bit darker. i still have to check the local sherwin williams and the lowes hardware. if anyone tried this post some pics.....

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Inygknok said:
I'll finish reading that thread first. I think I left off on page 11. As soon as I read all of it, I'll start looking for the materials (yes I am still awake at 4am. Trying to stay up for 24 hours, 2 more hours to go and met a nice girl and I'm still chatting with her).

That thread goes to page 44...then a new thread starts and goes to about page 80. You have alot of reading to do...I didnt even read every post. Good luck. lol