Paint is chipping but the car hasnt moved at all!

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
I am so confused right now. My car hasnt moved out of the garage since the last time i washed it 3 weeks ago. Every time i wash my car i inspect my car to check for any blemishes of damage to my paint. It was fine when i washed it. After drying the car i parked the car in the garage. I wake up this morning and was looking at my shine auto bomex 3 hole replica lip. I had this painted about 4 months ago. On the side of the lip the paint is chipped and there are spider cracks spreading out from the chipped area. The car hasnt moved and nothing hit the car while it was in the garage. The only explanation i can come up with the paint is possibly the cold weather causing the material to expand or contrast but i dont think it would change that much to actaully chip the lip. Has this happened to anyone or does anyone know what might cause this to happen?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Are you sure no one bumped it with the top of their foot on accident, while moving around it?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Is it just the paint on the lip and nowhere else? It could be a paint prep issue, or someone or something hit it and the paint doesn't have enough flex additive in it to take a hit. Just an educated guess...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If there was a quick change in weather it could definitely cause cracking.

Improper mixture of bondo, primer, and paint (to a much lesser extent) and insufficient drying time before paint application could cause your issues.

It is far more likely for it to crack from some sort of impact, but I have seen bondo (and other) problems appear a LONG time after the work has been done.