painful feeling after hg job

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
planemos;1838733 said:
Thinking back. I figured out my mistake and why the head warped. Hopefully I can save other first timers from making this mistake.

When I went to pull of my head I had taken off all that I could think of and see which needed to be taken of in order to free it. I hooked up my engine hoist to the front hook on the intake mani side. I hooked up the other end to the back hook on the exhaust side. And I began to lift with the hoist. But, here is the mistake, the exhaust manifold support was still connected. I believe it bolts to the side of the block and under the turbo or turbo flange or whatever. So it us under there and hard to acually see if you don't look hard enough. So I lifted the hoist so much that the front suspension on my car was raising up. And that action right there is what made my head warp. It makes sense because the oil is leaking from under the front hook. I was tired and in a rush to get to a drift event. Big mistake. But now I have a solid plan thanks to this thread. I'm taking off the head. I can reuse the headbolts. Might even be able to reuse the headgasket. I will look for a new head or get this one machined. Actually it would need to be heated and bent back. I'm undecided if that is the best idea or if a machine shop can do such a thing. I'm finally back on track. I was at a loss there for a while.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. STOP.

How on Earth could you know the head is in any way "warped"? Answer: "You can't". It *might* be, but you have no idea if it is or isn't.

You're making this MUCH more complicated than it likely is. You NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to machine the head surface for it to seal. IT WILL NOT SEAL if you simply take it off, clean it by hand and put it back on with a new gasket. That was your BIGGEST problem with your rebuild. THATS IT. Very simple.

Goddamn, I swear half the time it's like I'm talking to myself around here.... :nono:

Furthermore (not as if you care what some Mech E has to say who's rebuilt a handful of these engines and been SUCCESSFUL every time...), but you may want to reconsider your platform if you want to drift a car without deep pockets. If you can't afford to simply pull the head and do this simple repair right, you're going to have a long, difficult and painful road ahead in trying to drift a mk3 and keep it running. I'm really not trying to be a dick so I hope it's not coming off that way, but I'm trying to help you out.

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
A rushed build will never be thorough! Slow down a bit with a bit of planning. It really sounds like you made a few mistakes in the rush trying to get it back together in time. its good to dream big and all but without a plan, thats all you will ever be doing is dreaming.

Most people that have problems like this don't plan to fail, they fail to plan!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
black89t;1838565 said:
uh i beg to differ lol!!! heres a vid from my noob years of me in my first supra. week after a hg repair :biglaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDs91y1nYS0&list=UUTQgmvJOpFNJ1lFCIUnZVjQ&index=9&feature=plcp

got the car and it rod knocked like 3 months later. then bought a very nice condition 7mgte from a yard in oregon. threw that motor in but started to notice over pressure in the cooling system. figure i would have some fun with it till it pushed out the overflow. so much fun that i looped it on my way home from the bay in santa rosa at like 90mph spinning in circles till i slammed the gard rail. fuckin drove that shit home 200 MILES too after the crash to with the worst boost leak ever! car started to eat water so had to constantly add to it. was quite the saga. but after alll that i wanted to play around in my supra still. so i pulled it appart to find it had a mhg with arp bolts installed on a none surfaced block but looked to me like head was surfaced. took the head to my friends machine shop and they verified it wasn't warped at all. we checked the block to and it was true but had some pitting so thats most likely why the hg failed. i bought a felpro hg cleaned up the block and head surfaces and took my time assembling it. i went to 80ftlbs. 90 is pretty high for a composite hg. also dont use copper spray. the hg is made to seal just fine without copper spray and it will if you do everything correct. and take the fuckin turbo off and manifolds. you want to gently lay the head down. using a cherry picker to pull/install a head is fuckin sloppy unless you working on a trackor lol!!! i ran that motor in that supra till i got a new black 89 turbo with a bhg. then put it in that and drove the shit out of it for over a year till i got bored and built the engine. 7ms are tough. its just they can only take so many fuck ups. every one of us have been through hell with these cars but i look at it as a hobby/fun not a hassle. take your time and enjoy fixing the car. it will be worth it in the end. i agree you can get it running for not much. you bottom end is most likely find if you drove it so little. most ppl are so fuckin clueless they run their shit wayyyy longer than that before it gets to the shop for a hg repair :aigo:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with torquing a composite OEM gasket to 90 ft-lbs. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with using copper spray on an OEM gasket, or for that matter, on any other gasket on the car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Turbo Habanero;1838754 said:
I read and Listen to you. So maybe I should say Thankyou for all the help :)

Good to know it helps someone at least, haha.

planemos;1838779 said:
Suprarx7nut You won't change my choice on platform. I swear by Toyota. Unless maybe a hachi or new 86. But mkiii supra is what i ended up with.

It's ok to stick to Toyota, but it means you need to plan a little and save more $$ for even just ONE drift event. If you go to your drift event and ruin the motor in 15 mins you won't leave feeling accomplished...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
tsrm was so unclear as to where it goes... and that only explains the oil leak i have lol not the coolant into combusion chamber leak. If my only problem was no fipg on the front timing cover area then I would be good to go.

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
And even if the head is prepped the block may need some as well, I have rushed things like this when I was younger and ended up just like this and worse every time. Learned some patience and planing skills and I am confident that next summer my MK3 will be a solid beast with all new suspension brake system motor ect ect. Drifting is fun working on your car CAN be fun but rushing something together half assed to make it even worse and poor acid in the wound. It takes all the fun out of it and the MK3 gets bad mouthed again and it is scraped or for sale. Take your time calm down and really think of what you wan to accomplish and have fun and learn as you go. Good luck! Ohh research the 2J swap a lot more money and work than what you have in front of you now.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I honestly wouldn't call it half assed. But I would call it rushed. I was tired as frig when I was doing it. Because I had to baby my car home with a blown coolant hose and bhg. I didn't get sleep. Then I had a couple days until the drift event, which I had paid for and signed up for. So I was making mistakes because of being tired. But I was working my ass off too. Just sayin.