p/s leak

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
i'm in the middle of getting ready for an intercooler from driftmotion to install and i have everything off and was wondering where is it possible for the powersteering to leak from that would get it on my lower intercooler pipes? i can't see it come out and it seems to be on everything so it's hard to narrow it down but everything seems tight so just looking to see if you guys had any suggestions.

Mike

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
clean it all up 1st
jack it up 2nd
have a friend turn the wheel back and forth until you spot the leak
it's probably just a line that runs along the ps rack

gl

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
you could have a busted rack like i do. if i jack mine up, i can watch ps fluid come out of the boot on the passenger side. if thats the case, go to your local junk yard and pull a ps rack from a 2nd gen rx7. tighter ratio and a bit smaller. but, if you do replace your rack, be prepared to throw some shit across your shop or garage. its frustrating. good luck.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
b005t3d said:
you could have a busted rack like i do. if i jack mine up, i can watch ps fluid come out of the boot on the passenger side. if thats the case, go to your local junk yard and pull a ps rack from a 2nd gen rx7. tighter ratio and a bit smaller. but, if you do replace your rack, be prepared to throw some shit across your shop or garage. its frustrating. good luck.
having the same problem, leaks on pass. side when the car is jacked up. i take it you swapped yours out for an FC's? how bad was the install and do you think its really worth it or just go with a working stock replacement?

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
the high preasure hose is prone to leak if its old. Also there are o rings in the union bolt on the side that the hose connects to. You can replace these 2 O rings with oem pieces. I think this is a piece that controls the preasure output of the pump as it has some kind of piston in it or valve. The res hose can leak too and it is hard to find a hose for it that can tolerate power steering fluid. There is also a o ring on the top port that can leak. That port is a Y shaped metal pipe that the res hose connects too. You have to remove the two side bolts to get it off and install teh O ring. This is a weird size oring and needs to be oem. I removed my PS pump and replaced these o rings to stop my leaks. There is a PS pump rebuild kit but it is expensive as the large orings that seal the pump up are expensive. The rings i listed are the ones that have the capacity to leak most often that i know of.

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
Halsupramk3 said:
the high preasure hose is prone to leak if its old. Also there are o rings in the union bolt on the side that the hose connects to. You can replace these 2 O rings with oem pieces. I think this is a piece that controls the preasure output of the pump as it has some kind of piston in it or valve. The res hose can leak too and it is hard to find a hose for it that can tolerate power steering fluid. There is also a o ring on the top port that can leak. That port is a Y shaped metal pipe that the res hose connects too. You have to remove the two side bolts to get it off and install teh O ring. This is a weird size oring and needs to be oem. I removed my PS pump and replaced these o rings to stop my leaks. There is a PS pump rebuild kit but it is expensive as the large orings that seal the pump up are expensive. The rings i listed are the ones that have the capacity to leak most often that i know of.

thats some good info there, thanks. i'll check that out.

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
SupraDreamPDR said:
having the same problem, leaks on pass. side when the car is jacked up. i take it you swapped yours out for an FC's? how bad was the install and do you think its really worth it or just go with a working stock replacement?
i havent done it on mine personally but i helped my boy back in va beach do his. like i said before, if youve never shanged out a rack, good luck and bring on the sedatives. cuz your gonna be mad.
you can probrabley find a stock replacement and the fc one for the same price at a yard($150-200). but, in my experience, buying a new one will run you close to 700 dollars.
eitherway, a haynes or chilton manual will help you through it with minimal differences in the stock and the fc rack. you should be able to figure it out. if you trained your monkey, let him do it. haha
boost