OZ Turbo-A Dyno

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
Hey Guys
I have a build thread or ride thread here about my car. just got it pretty much back and run in the engine and tuned now. Just thought i would show it around and get peoples opinions, honestly i was expecting more power out of it, whether or not the dyno is reading a little low which is what i hear around down here.

But i know people on the US threads are more pro 7M so wouldnt mind getting some more perspective on it. cheers guys

numbers so far are 410RWHP @ 20psi

mods from memory:
Forged Pistons
worked Rods
Race Bearings
Denso 660cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR
FFIM with q45
Ebay exhaust manifold
Garrett T04Z .86 AR
Tial 44mm W/G
Microtech ltx12s
Individual Bosch Coils
GFB bleed valve
stock head with 7MGE intake cam
Cometic 2mm headgasket
3" Dump/test pipe/HKS 3" system
600x300x100 I/C and custom piping

07102009038.jpg

23092009030.jpg

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hi mate, good to see another turbo-a! I notice your running a 7mge intake camshaft, well your mid range is strong to be expected but i believe if you run somthing a little more suitable for your mods you may yield a much stronger top end. The 7mge camshafts are great for low to mid range then just drop off once the revs pick up, it's been discussed a few times on here if you search.
Great work so far and look forward to more updates and details on your beast.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Yikes, i just noticed 20lbs boost with a t04z ....Just as a rough comparison my turbo-a stock internally made 350rwhp with just a map ecu and 550 injectors and a 60-1 at only 14psi boost. My opinion is your figures are low for your mods but every dyno is different so don't stress.!
What was your afr's like?

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
what kinda torque #? how much timming and what fuel?
have you done a compression test to this engine?

if compression checks out ok then, some different cams and cam gears should hep out a good deal.

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
not a compression test yet no, its a newly built motor so havnt really thought of doing it yet.
not sure on torque, didnt get a printout of that will prob have another chat to the tuner when i get a chance.
was on premium pump fuel.

am thinking of trying a mix of premium and race fuel (recommended by Dan - HKS TRD)
and maybe a power run on different dyno to make sure its not just me being paranoid.
i do want to do head work to it, just didnt have the money at the time of the build to do it and if i was gonna put cams in it i would want to do everything while im there. All in due time, but i just know of people making big numbers with less mods then me :)

cheers guys

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
mmm ok cool, i might look into a normal cam again or if i can find some decent performance cams for it. then give it another shot with some better fuel. cheers guys

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I have a pair out of a turbo-a if you want them for $50.00.The cam lobes are the same profile as a normal 7mgte but unsure as to whether there is any difference in duration (should be just the same as stock).

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
That sounds about right on that dyno as my 7M with a built bottom end and a bone stock na head made 673rwhp@32psi Turbonetics T70 tiurbo .68 backside on a Dynojet 248c. Imo you're going to be wasting your time screwing with camshaft changes at your hp level without porting the head and going with bigger sticks. Same set up and bottom end with my fully hogged out Group A head with the TRD cams did 750rwhp@the same boost levels.hth

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
VanSupra;1428123 said:
That sounds about right on that dyno as my 7M with a built bottom end and a bone stock na head made 673rwhp@32psi Turbonetics T70 tiurbo .68 backside on a Dynojet 248c. Imo you're going to be wasting your time screwing with camshaft changes at your hp level without porting the head and going with bigger sticks. Same set up and bottom end with my fully hogged out Group A head with the TRD cams did 750rwhp@the same boost levels.hth

What profile were the TRD camshafts?

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
i still have my stock turbo cam, i will throw it in with the better fuel which i would want to do anyway to run those boost levels more safely and see how it then goes.

cheers VanSupra, what sort of fuel do you run with 32psi?

And thanks Mac, hoping for more so will be good to see.

Im going to run it down the 1/4 once ive sorted my thermo issues out to see what MPH im running. will be fun on streeties.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
wiseco7mgt;1428293 said:
What profile were the TRD camshafts?

I have'nt had them spec'd out. Don't quote me on this but I believe from what I've read from the info available they're about an 11mm lift. Duration unknown. They're great for reving and making power up top but personally I like the feel and drivability of the stock cams as they have more grunt down low for street driving tho the engine makes less power its more of an even feel. The other draw back to the TRD cams is the fact that it makes my engine full interference.

Ali3n, I was running c-16.

I've just purchased another seperate full standalone to work in conjunction with my current standalone to be able to run pump 94 octane and spray methanol at the same boost levels. It'll be way cheaper than running the blue juice..lol..hth

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
OK so i went down the drags, only got one run out due to what i think is my slave failing or the push rod bending on me during the second run.

went down full street trim on 245 20s

first and only run was
ET 13.3sec
60ft 2.7sec
TS 119.8mph

keen to go down when its all fixed up again on slicks to make it worth while.
got a dyno day coming up as well so will be good to see what another dyno reads also

Mk3Les

Hey mate good to see ya here, don't know if you remember me I bought the ct26 and dump pipe off your car (both still going strong and making good power) in fact I think I also got my injectors off you too.
Anyway well done, your car looks great and regardless of what the dyno sheet says you're making good power. I just did a quick calculation and if you can get your 60ft times down to 2sec your gonna run an 11.9 !!! That's a fast street car! Well done.

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
not too sure IJ wasnt on the print out, hopefully getting onto a dyno day soon for another print out.
but currently my exhaust manifold is not ceramic coated nor has heat wrap so i am thinking i will be doing that soon to try drop temps.

hey Mk3Les i dont remember specifically if ur nick on sfa is same as here but i do remember selling those items yes :) has been awhile now haha, but thanks alot i appreciate it.

Right now im not really setting my hopes up for an 11 moreso just driving it and having fun and getting as good a time as i feel i can, but an 11 was on my mind but alot of variables come into a pass to get that so i hope luck is on my side one day down the strip :)

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is the tuner familiar with these engines?

I had similar results on my 2JZGE a while back. It ended up being the tune. It was too conservative. It completely killed my numbers. With a couple degrees of timing it picked up 200whp.