Oversized valves?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Better flow...usually in combo with a ported head. Depends on what you plan on running for a turbo (flow wise) and what HP you are trying to hit.

Cost...the valve seats have to be re-sized to fit the larger valves, plus cost of the port job. Highly recommend upgraded springs with oversized valves running a higher lift cam.

When planning all this, you have to look at what the turbo is going to flow in CFM. Your IC & piping, TB, manifold, and head need to be "matched" to support the flow.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Raises the flow limit for the motor, this is why the JZA motors have a higher HP limit than the M series as they're valves are +1.5mm larger stock with room for bigger if needed whereas an M head runs into serious valve shrouding after +1mm and anything larger just won't fit as there's not enough room for larger seats (you can only bore the stock seats out so big before they lose strength and fall out while running)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You can go 1.5mm and I have seen 2mm by raising the seat area and shortening the valve. Cost more to 2mm a 7m head than most owners want to spend on all the other items to make use of the air flow.

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
I'm going 1mm on my valves, along with all the other head work. I heard that was a good size, and I'm looking to get around 400 flywheel HP. I am looking for a good Cam, spring and valve combo if anyone has had something work really well for them.

sponsored1

In debt
Mar 30, 2005
Buckingham, Pa
www.cf-performance.com
This seems to be a common thing i keep hearing. People continue using oversized valves simply because they "hear" that its a good idea. On a stock head, oversize valves are a restriction. You can only open the stock seat so far, and even if you cut them as large as possible, the stock size valves still seat fine. The only way to make full use of oversize valves is to install bigger seats and unshroud the valves. If you drop in bigger valves in a stock head all your doing is increasing the valve shrouding. The most gain a supra owner is going to get without going nuts is to use stock size valves and cutting/cleaning up the bowls. I've flowed many heads, in various formats and the pure and simple truth is that for the amount of money spent for porting, the gain is negligable.

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The rule is - the lift should only be maximum of 25% the diameter of the valve. If you had a 40mm dia valve, you want 10mm lift tops. Dunno if thats helpful or not, just thought it was something i could throw in there :p

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Cadman: I'm running .351"/9mm lift 280 degrees duration 226 @ 50thou with +1mm Ferrea valves/components and their dual springs.

It makes brilliant power and doesn't seem to taper off with the new IC and pipes.

I'll get to the dyno next weekend for fuel tuning then I'll have a better idea of what I have but last year it was in the low 500's at the wheels with not enough fuel or IC.