Overheating

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
This has me frustrated. My car one day started getting hot about 230. replaced the t-stat. Still getting hot. I thought there might be a clogg somewhere so I ran the garden hose through the system. Everything flowed freely. And there is moister coming out of the exhaust. Is this a sign of a blown head gasket? No coolent end the oil.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
77celi;949776 said:
This has me frustrated. My car one day started getting hot about 230. replaced the t-stat. Still getting hot. I thought there might be a clogg somewhere so I ran the garden hose through the system. Everything flowed freely. And there is moister coming out of the exhaust. Is this a sign of a blown head gasket? No coolent end the oil.

Could be, the moisture coming out of the exhaust does it stop after warm up?
What's the overflow look like, the radiator, etc. etc.

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
When the temp is at 180 the moisture is still there. The radiator is new custom built, flows freely. My raditor cap is inline on the upper hose, when the t-stat is in the water does not look like it is flowing I tested the t-stat in a pot of water opens when it is suppost to. Ran the car with out the t-stat and the water flows great. Runs about 170. So I got a new t-stat Still has the same problem.

prism1

prizmosis jones
May 24, 2006
fresno
dude i had the smallest pin hole on a vac line under the intake mani thats what was causing mine to heat up...check all the hoses.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A few things:
- Cut the jiggle valve off the top of the T-stat...this allows a small flow through the hole and prevents pressure from holding the stat closed.
- Pressure test the system to make sure you have no leaks.
- Run a 50/50 (60/40 max) coolant/water mix...I use the Toyota Red coolant. Don't use water wetter...it can cause some coolants to gum up.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
What's with the 50/50 (max 60/40) coolant water thing? What does that make? Or is that the coolant concentrate you speak of?

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
That 50/50, 60/40 is the concentration ratio of antifreeze to water. You can buy pre-mixed coolant that is at 50% antifreeze and 50% water. If you do mix your own coolant, use distilled water.

Just saw you said rad cap is inline with upper rad hose. What kind of coolant recovery system are you using? AKA: overflow? Sounds like you have none....

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
I have an overflow. I use the 50/50 mix. I ran a compresson check and I have a bad head gasket, and a stripped allen head bolt. See my other post.
Thank you all for your help.