Overheating Problem...

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I recently installed a bigger turbo (ct 60 trim) and I have been experiencing overheating problems which I never had before with the stock turbo. After driving around for 20-30 minutes, the engine bay gets extremely hot, especially being here in Florida. However, the temp gauge is dead in the middle, the fan is working, the water pump is fine, and there is plenty of coolant. It is running pretty lean because of the turbo and the timing is definitely off, so could that be the reason it is overheating? Or should I bleed the cooling system in case there is any air in there? Thanks

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
vpr131;1846080 said:
I recently installed a bigger turbo (ct 60 trim) and I have been experiencing overheating problems which I never had before with the stock turbo. After driving around for 20-30 minutes, the engine bay gets extremely hot, especially being here in Florida. However, the temp gauge is dead in the middle, the fan is working, the water pump is fine, and there is plenty of coolant. It is running pretty lean because of the turbo and the timing is definitely off, so could that be the reason it is overheating? Or should I bleed the cooling system in case there is any air in there? Thanks
How do you know it is overheating?
-AM3

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
It smells like an overheating engine and the engine bay is a lot hotter than usual. I cant even touch the radiator for a split second even after the car is turned off for 15 minutes

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
vpr131;1846086 said:
It smells like an overheating engine and the engine bay is a lot hotter than usual. I cant even touch the radiator for a split second even after the car is turned off for 15 minutes
Bigger turbo ----- more heat. And just cause its hotter doesnt mean its overheating. If that is the case put a lower rated Thermostat in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
vpr131;1846080 said:

Anything else changed? Missing heat shields, etc? Other mods? What boost level?

vpr131;1846086 said:

Smells like overheating usually means a coolant leak. Not being able to touch the radiator is normal.

Maple191;1846716 said:
Bigger turbo ----- more heat. And just cause its hotter doesnt mean its overheating. If that is the case put a lower rated Thermostat in.

Lower temp t-stat won't do anything except delay warmup. It doesn't increase your reserve cooling capacity.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you've got a laser thermometer you can check and see what the upper rad hose is, it's typically within 5*F of the coolant temp. Otherwise I'd hook up an aftermarket temp gauge and find out exactly what temps it's running. I know that the stock gauge will read in the middle as high as 225*F. I can't find it at the moment but someone actually mapped out a graph showing the angle of deflection on the stock gauge vs. the actual temps and there was a huge spot that was near flat in the middle of the gauge for a wide range of temps.

The stock electric fans beside the clutch fan on the radiator comes on right around 210*F, are they constantly on? If not, you're at least staying below that temp.

Also, as others have already pointed out, bigger turbo = more heat. Your temps really could be fine but you're definitely going to be getting more heat in the engine bay from the turbo alone. This is going to make it heat soak more at idle and for the first bit while sitting. Make sure all of the underbody panels and your fan shroud are in place and that your clutch works on your fan, they help a ton with the cooling system efficiency.