New Smyrna Beach Florida
p1384119_1.jpg

p1384119_2.jpg

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
Homer,

Im wondering if you have run on the highway with no A/C (therefore no fans) in 90+ temps? I know I wouldnt do it if I had A/C but that might be a better comparison...

Your cooling system looks to be quite sufficient!

Mike

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
mjtoll23;1384142 said:
Homer,

Im wondering if you have run on the highway with no A/C (therefore no fans) in 90+ temps? I know I wouldnt do it if I had A/C but that might be a better comparison...

Your cooling system looks to be quite sufficient!

Mike

im in florida.. 90+ is every day thing

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
From Zazzn's oil thread..

"I changed my oil with Pennzoil platinum and ever since I noticed my car acted like it had crank walk since it would dip in RPM when I pushed the clutch.

I thought it was funny but got side tracked with some other issues with the car like a fan problem which ended up overheating the car 2 times (on this oil).
(the overheat was on the highway due to one fan not running and the big 4" ic blocking air flow to the PWR rad)

Fast forward 2 weeks later, and I've now fixed the issues with the fans, took the car out to get a new 90degree elbow welded to the turbo instead of using a silicon coupler.

Get home hook up IC pipes again, go boosting 25-26 PSI get off the highway and hear a rod knock. Head home 3KM, and sizes just as I get home.

Strange thing is I drained 7 L of Pennzoil Platinum, chopped open the oil filter and of course there is metal sparkles in the oil.

It was 5w30 oil...

Here's the other strange thing, I ran this oil in my mk4 for about 1000KM and I happen to add an oil cooler to the mk4... When I saw the oil (same oil) it was shit colour brown and didn't look right, I chalked it up to being Fully SYNC but still didn't trust it so drained it out and put in regular 5w30 dino.

I switched form 10w30 to 5w30 after reading Jdubs oil link.

What do you guys think? "

Sounds like a trend...

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I just swapped out my single puller to three seperate pullers with over 6,000cfm of flow combined with my enormous CSF rad.

I'm tired of heat problems.

A big IC makes it worse than anything else IMO.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
RacerXJ220;1384543 said:
I just swapped out my single puller to three seperate pullers with over 6,000cfm of flow combined with my enormous CSF rad.

I'm tired of heat problems.

A big IC makes it worse than anything else IMO.

I'm going back to a mechanical fan set up and my koyo, hope that will keep it cool. I'm also going to totally seal up the front of the car and make an aluminum under tray.

What fans did you get that flow that much and fit?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Turbo Drifter;1384820 said:
Interested to see how this works out for you.

The first drives have been great. I'll take a random 45 minute drive tomorrow to be sure, but just based on the amount of airflow while it's on the car right now I'll never have that problem again.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
It's been a while since the fans have been on, and no heating issues. I've driven two hours straight on the highway and a lot of city runs.

I'm happy with this setup for now.

davidgboyle

Aug 10, 2009
Guelph
Another good thing to check is your coolant mixture. I found that when I did hiway speeds or hard pulls the temps would go up to 3/4 on the gauge and then come down to normal. I drained the 50/50mix and put in water and water wetter and ran the car 19 times down the track with no heating issues.