overheating issue

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys, I've done quite a bit of searching and it looks like I found found some possible answers BUT I still feel the need to ask some stuff directly related to my problem.

I have an 87 supra, jdm engine ~60k kms. I am not loosing coolant and I have checked the symptoms for BHG, everything looks ok.

I noticed the past couple days my car will climb up to almost the red line after shutting it off, but I read that this is heat soaking and it isn't the end of the world? As soon as I start the car is starts to go back down to a little under halfway, no problem. Today I was driving to work, roughly 15 minutes on the highway cruising at ~130kph, pulled of the highway to pick up some McD and sat at the drive through for 5-10 min, after getting my food I looked down and my temp was maybe 4-5 lines before the red. i hopped back onto the road and 5 minutes of driving at 50 kph put me back at regular temps. i have noticed that now at red lights my temp creeps upwards a bit, never to the max temp as the lights aren't long enough.

If I start the car, drive around to operating temps then wait at a light the temp doesn't change, its only after highway and or spirited driving.

Before I go and order a new thermostat and flush the coolant and possibly change the fan clutch, anybody have any other recommendations?

Thanks, Nick

afterthought, no I do not have a fan shroud, my coolant was last flushed last summer, radiator is new from last summer too. Also it was about 35 degrees today and humid (95F)

Last edited:

vCo2v

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
Sounds like a clogged radiator. I had the exact problem in a protege and bought a new radiator. Solved it

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
alright cool, I've read a couple things saying I could remove the rad, empty, and stick a hose against the bottom to flush out the top, any other recommendations for cleaning a rad as its brand new from last year and don't really want to replace it. I'll pick up a shroud too.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Put the factory system back the way it was (i.e. get a shroud) and then test the fan clutch and electric fans. A blocked 1 year old radiator seems far fetched unless he's running pure water or something ridiculous like that. Its well known that the shroud is not optional.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
what's the normal temp while driving? i'm seeing 195, but it got up to 220 in traffic. i have a 180* t-stat, mishimoto rad and dual fans, and a 1.3 bar cap. i'm thinking about adding water wetter or even some blue ice coolant. btw, the underhood temps are insane with the big turbo. gotta get a blanket asap.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I don't have an aftermarket gauge so I'm just looking at the oem one, a little under half BUT i may have found the problem. I installed my aem wideband today and was getting weird results at idle.I looked into it and I believe I have an exhaust leak right off the turbo... which would explain why I run a little rich (o2 sensor not getting proper mixture), as well as why my wideband says lean AF when idling, also it means I'm getting exhaust right off the turbo into my engine bay