Overheating (hey whats new)

yalc

i want my supra back.
Aug 22, 2005
DALLAS, tx
well damn if its here might as well look for some input.

when normaly driving it is a bit above half on the temp guage.
then at times it rises up to almost red, a few notches away
then drops down to where it started off at, when Im getting on it while driving this happens more often.

im thinking I should
new radiator
flush system
new fan clutch/fan shroud

any thing else?

and whats a good brand for upgraded rad's with out spending over $400 dollars. and where to find stuff to buy for the fan systems.

:1zhelp:

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Make sure your water pump isnt acting up... Check your coolant level... A flush wont hurt anything... So do that... As for radiators, KOYO makes a good OEM replacement, and they make an all aliminum one thats not too exspensive...

Good luck...

Jake

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Also, try having your coolant system pressurized and see what that tells you, see if you have any leaks... And have your coolant tested for exhaust gasses... That only cost me $25 at a local radiator shop...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I hate to say it but the synptoms you describe are classsic blown head gasket problems. For one thing your temperature gauge shouldn't be above the half way mark. In fact, a healthy supra runs well below the halfway mark on the temperature gauge. My gauge never varies and I live in California and drive with the air running in the 100* heat. Before I spent a dime on a waterpump or a new radiator I'd get your engine checked for a blown headgasket. I hope for your sake that's not the case but it sure sounds like it.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Suprabad, I was tryin not to scare the guy, lol... Hopin maybe it was something simple first... If you check the antifreeze for exhaust gas, you can for sure know if you have a bhg...

yalc

i want my supra back.
Aug 22, 2005
DALLAS, tx
any tutorials for replacing the headgasket :V, I can't complane about it being a BHG as long as its not a fucked up head :(

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
To me it does not sound like a BHG really unless there are some other symptoms.

I would:

check for exhuast or oil in coolant. Or coolant in oil (this would pretain to a BHG.)

make sure there is no debris in front of anything. (leaves, bugs infront of the radiator or condenser.
flush coolant (I'd reccomend the Prestone flush kit, like 4 bucks at wal-mart) and use Toyota red and distilled water when refilling

If those do not fix it, then try the fan fluid coupling. (I've heard a guy on the mailing list just filling it with motor oil and have it work again.)
Then water pump
Then radiator.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
If it were me I'd start with the radiator exhaust gas test and get that out of the way. I'd rather get the bad news upfront and not chase my tail doing a bunch of fixes on the cooling system that aren't gonna correct the problem.
Been there, done that and bought the celebrity t-shirt thank-you.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprabad said:
If it were me I'd start with the radiator exhaust gas test and get that out of the way. I'd rather get the possible bad news out of the way and if it comes out bad at least your not chasing your tail doing a bunch of fixes on the cooling system that aren't gonna fix the problem.
Ditto x 10!
Damn good post SB.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep seems to be people tend to automatically go to the hardest fix first before they've confirmed what's actually wrong.....

The Tester is a dirt cheap way of ruling out the big bad BHG monster!

yalc

i want my supra back.
Aug 22, 2005
DALLAS, tx
IJ. said:
Yep seems to be people tend to automatically go to the hardest fix first before they've confirmed what's actually wrong.....

The Tester is a dirt cheap way of ruling out the big bad BHG monster!

where can i get the tester? or what exactly is it called?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yalc: Just about any autoparts store will have a kit, not sure on brand names but you're looking for a Test kit to check for Carbon Monoxide in the Coolant.

I believe some of the radiator shops can perform the test for you for a small fee.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
the radiator test is a good start, but its not very accurate. u might only be blowing exaust gasses if ur under high boost or any boost at all. i would do a compression test, and if that dosent give you enough of a sign do a leak down test. there a little more accurate than the "block test".

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
yeah im losing coolant right now and i know the only place its going is out the exhaust cause i am not leaking it. So this saturday im dropping it off to my neighbors to do the dreaded headgasket job. I figure im gonna have to do it anyway since i want to run more boost even if it is not the problem. That is how i see it anyway, good luck with the testing.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
just go to napa and ask for their exhaust gas tester for your coolant they will give you what looks like a 5 inch crayon with green liquid in it. its cheep stuff just do it and even if its just exhaust gas in your coolant its all you need to seriously f#$k some stuff up in your engine. i blew my radiator in half and i just stopped walking circles around the problem and did the hg.