overheating/fixing

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok so ive been overheating lately and my temperature gauge isnt working..ive replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, water temp sensor and about to change the water pump tomorrow..everything that ive done so far hasnt worked..as of right now my water pump is out of my car how do i know if its bad or not?..the fins are pretty rusty looking is that a sign of a bad pump?..also i replaced the water temp sensor but i still dont get a reading on my temp gauge do you think the clip on the harness is bad?..should i replace that too..any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated i need this thing to stop overheating for once.;please help me..thanks

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
i kno for a fact i dont have a BHG cuz it was just done like last week and i havnt driven it yet its purely just an overheating issue i know that for sure

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
blacksupra said:
check the fan clutch and the water pump if not you have a bhg

totally untrue. a tiny pinhole will cause temp spikes, low coolant, a leaky heater core could do it too. every time air gets in the system, it has the tendency to spike the temperature gauge.

squeeze all of your coolant hoses. if you see even the smallest amount of water come out, replace it. i had a pinhole in a coolant hose and it caused my temp gauge to spike to the red ridiculously fast.

i also had the lower bolt snapped off my thermostat housing, and that did the same.

give 'em a check.

-shaeff

T

toyota_supra_1988

apexi287 said:
i kno for a fact i dont have a BHG cuz it was just done like last week and i havnt driven it yet its purely just an overheating issue i know that for sure

id still check everything, including tiny ass leaks, but check to see if exhaust gasses are in the cooling system? does the coolant overflow, overflow? id also suggest burping the cooling system

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
there are no exhaust gasses in the coolant..how exactly do i burp the system and is there a special way to put the thermostat in so that the temp can be read i replaced that and the temp sensor and still seem to get no reading

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Check your radiator as well.
If that radiator is old, chances are over the years, small sediment might have clogged up the tubes. have it boiled out or put a new radiator in if that is the case.

Radiators are the last thing most people look at for some reason. Just having clean coolant in your radiaotr does not necesssarily mean that it is flowing properly internally.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Water pumps can cause coolant cavatation because the fins are worn or not correct. This heats the water up. The faster the pump spins, the more cavatation there is and the hotter the pump makes the water. So if you over heat at high speed than this could be your problem. If you over heat at city stop and go, then this probably isn't the problem.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok well i replaced the fan clutch and water pump and im pretty sure that did it but i dont know for sure cuz my temp gauge is still not working it seems even thought my water temp sensor is brand new..any thoughts on y let me know..thanks

Lost_Supra

Jun 3, 2005
If your not getting a reading from the new temp sensor it could be bad, or the connector is disconnected some where... I know every time I do something to my car, I find old broken wire from somewhere. Could just be a bad wire.

If your temp is not rising on your dash how do you know it's overheating? what are the symptoms... I'm not calling you dumb!

Also, have you checked your gauge fuses?

, Do you still have the issuess?

Lost_Supra

Jun 3, 2005
bluemax said:
Water pumps can cause coolant cavatation because the fins are worn or not correct. This heats the water up. The faster the pump spins, the more cavatation there is and the hotter the pump makes the water. So if you over heat at high speed than this could be your problem. If you over heat at city stop and go, then this probably isn't the problem.

Can you be a little more specific on the water pump deal.

I ask because on long trips I overheat. By long trip I mean traveling about 45min to two hours on the interstate. On the interstate, driving is fine and it doesn't overheat, as soon as I get off the interstate it will overfill and then spill out... I've replace everything except sensors, water pump and radiator.

In stop and go traffic it appers to be fine, no overheating since I replaced the fan clutch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Lost_Supra said:
Can you be a little more specific on the water pump deal.

I ask because on long trips I overheat. By long trip I mean traveling about 45min to two hours on the interstate. On the interstate, driving is fine and it doesn't overheat, as soon as I get off the interstate it will overfill and then spill out... I've replace everything except sensors, water pump and radiator.

In stop and go traffic it appers to be fine, no overheating since I replaced the fan clutch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven

Usually overheating during longer trips is a sign of poor circulation.

If you have an old/stock radiator, replace it or have a radiator shop boil it and remove the rust/sand/whatever deposits settle at the bottom.

Water pump may be bad, but toyota pumps are pretty long lasting in my experience.

Do a complete cooling system flush, and if possible drain stuff out of the block.

Sometimes rust builds up inthe engines and block coolant passages.

Also take out the coolant tubes and clean it ot with wire or something...

hope this helps.