Overheated engine damage to block?

bustedknuckle

May 30, 2006
North Jersey
I know IJ posted something about this I could not find again.
I overheated a 7mgte a couple years ago to where I seized the engine to get home.Coolant leak.
1 piston melted and aluminum depoisted on 1 cylinder wall.Besides top surface distortion and wall scratches which I didn't see. What other damage would would make this block junk.The head is toast.
I didn't take the bottom end apart yet.Main cap damage?
Any info appreciated.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In my search for a usable 7M block I got one from the Junkyard that had been "cooked" and the 3 middle main tunnels were out of line and had lost all crush on the caps so it was scrap.

bigmacz28

BIGMAC
Jun 2, 2007
Tucson,AZ
bustedknuckle;1230013 said:
I know IJ posted something about this I could not find again.
I overheated a 7mgte a couple years ago to where I seized the engine to get home.Coolant leak.
1 piston melted and aluminum depoisted on 1 cylinder wall.Besides top surface distortion and wall scratches which I didn't see. What other damage would would make this block junk.The head is toast.
I didn't take the bottom end apart yet.Main cap damage?
Any info appreciated.

Just picked up an 89T Supra with two melted pistons also (4&5). Looks like the block will need boring but usable. The head was cracked. Take to your machine shop. They can clean and do all the checks for you.

bustedknuckle

May 30, 2006
North Jersey
bigmacz28;1230057 said:
Just picked up an 89T Supra with two melted pistons also (4&5). Looks like the block will need boring but usable. The head was cracked. Take to your machine shop. They can clean and do all the checks for you.
Thanks guys i'm wondering about problems with the integrity of the cast iron.Some machinists I've spoke to can't even check for annealing of the head.I've had to helicoil all the exhaust studs.I did buy a good clean JDM 7MGTE engine a couple years ago.
Some of the so called JDM engine importers are saying of all the Brands they get in a container the Toyotas have the dirtiest valve cover deposits... which tells me these motors probably weren't in use in Japan but elsewhere with worse maintenance (not worse than my blunders though lol).
My present build turned out great but I'd like to buy a new block next.

bustedknuckle

May 30, 2006
North Jersey
gaboonviper85;1230655 said:
deposits have nothing to do with where the motor is from but more to do with the quality of oil and a functional case ventilation system.
Thanks,
Your PCV comment was echoed by importer.Is the PCV design worse than other Brands? Could be.
I remembered the cars I saw on the road in Japan were flawlessly maintained cosmetically.I mean the cabs in Osaka and Kyoto were all in showroom condition as a rule. Knowing the profit possible to supply a demand for these motors suppliers would dredge these up from other places where they aren't maintained as well...playing off the "40,000 mile deal".
Not sure but skeptical.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
bustedknuckle;1230871 said:
Thanks,
Your PCV comment was echoed by importer.Is the PCV design worse than other Brands? Could be.
I remembered the cars I saw on the road in Japan were flawlessly maintained cosmetically.I mean the cabs in Osaka and Kyoto were all in showroom condition as a rule. Knowing the profit possible to supply a demand for these motors suppliers would dredge these up from other places where they aren't maintained as well...playing off the "40,000 mile deal".
Not sure but skeptical.

i don't believe the design is worse, but the level of maintenance for the entire engine is a bit higher