Over heating cps (potentially)

wwooster

May 15, 2013
Australia
Hey guys, recently got my car tuned (7mgte haltech ps200 computer) anyway, after a while of driving I pull into my driveway, and whether it be by sheer incompetence or because the cas is acting up, the car stalls and will not start again, so I plug my laptop in a try and crank it and it isn't giving me any trigger or how signals, so basically my question is this, can heat adversely affect the stock 7mgte cps to a point where it won't work but after it cools down, it's like nothing happened?

I'm running a beech machined alloy cps cover.

Thanks,
Will.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Have you tried checking the resistance of the 3 individual pickups in the CPS while hot during the no start event?
Check the air gap between the pickup & rotor?
Put a scope on the signals and check the data cold vs hot?

The CPS is subjected to a ton of heat near the exhaust manifold.
Typically the wires/connectors/& internal components are brittle and cracked or ready to crack from age/abuse.
Also the pickup coils have the windings completely coated in either epoxy or a polymer.
Over time that too will crack & completely come off directly exposing the coil windings to the elements.
Especially bad if the cover gasket is no longer sealing properly.

All the parts can be swapped out with known good parts from a used CPS or you can pick up a new one for $500+ :D

wwooster

May 15, 2013
Australia
there was a dud one that the car went to the tuners with, swapped that out and it fixed it, but now this issue has arrisen, cold, the resistance is 160 ohm on all, so smack bang between 140 and 180, and I haven't got any feelers to check the gap or a scope.

Was just wondering if this was an issue anyone had faced before.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Intermittent no starts require more testing to determine what exactly is going wrong.
Long story short you or someone needs to test the sensor to narrow it down.