Out of spec clearances on cams.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
So today a buddy and I measured the clearances for my cams and they were way outta spec. I went through several extra shims that i had from other 7m heads and measured those but with no luck. Only about 2 of the clearances are in spec.

So now the plan is to go shimless. I read a few threads on this and am aware of the part numbers and where to get them. Can i just get all of the same shimless bucket? Like say 6 shimless buckets that have the same clearance within spec. For some reason this just seems weird and like it wouldnt work to me. All the cams and everything else on the head is new as well. Thanks for your time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No would need to have the same clearance spec as over shim buckets.

Best best is to go to a junkyard if you can find them and get a lot use the ones you need and sell the rest.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
So i couldnt just buy shimless buckets that have the same spec as the over shim buckets? I have a couple that are within spec, couldnt I measure from the bottom of the bucket to the top with shim in and get the corresponding shimless bucket? Thanks for the fast reply

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
shimless are fine too. you can hit up a yamaha/motorcycle dealership and trade them shims. I don't know if it will be free for you but it was for me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't understand. Valve lash is not set by the wear on a cam lobe. How did you measure the cam lobe that is out of spec, and why then go into valve lash? I assume (my mistake) you meant lash all along. Valve lash is the gap between the base circle and the shim. So lash is too large on all but two? You can often measure all of them and swap before buying new ones.

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Yea Nick M that sounds about right. I got my terms mixed up. So when measuring from the base of the lobe to the shim those numbers were off. I used a feeler gauge to measure. Sorry for the mix up.